The latest craze in Filipino snack food. Combine puto and siopao and you get puto pao.
- 2 cups cake flour (or 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour + 3/4 cup cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup sugar substitute like Splenda (or 1/2 cup sugar)
- 2 tbs baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk or fat free half and half (regular milk will work as well)
- 4 egg whites, beaten until soft peaks form
- shredded mozarella cheese or other quick melt cheese
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Add milk and stir until well mixed.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Fill muffin pan or ramekin half full, add a teaspon of filling (see below) and then add a little bit more batter to cover the filling. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Steam for 20 minutes.
I like oggi’s way of preparing the muffin pan (although she uses puto mould’s but I think it will work with ramekins and muffin pans, too). she lines the pan with banana leaf cut out in rounds. I will try this next time.
Typically, the filling is made of shredded pork or chicken sauteed in onions, soy sauce and sugar. I used leftover beef roast and shredded the beef, adding yoshida gourmet sauce 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the desired taste. I sprinkle a pinch of crushed pepper for a little kick.