These excellent cookies were adapted from Kelli’s award-winning Green Tea Sweets recipe for green tea cookies. With just a few minor changes, I was able to get almost the same taste with less sugar. Many people have experimented with this recipe with so much success, I can’t wait to try them all.
- 1/3 cup sugar substitute such as Splenda
- 1 1/2 tablespoons matcha (powdered green tea)
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened and cubed
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/3 cup non-fat yogurt plain or vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a bowl, combine sugar and green tea powder and mix until well combined.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar mixture until light and smooth. Add flour and mix until incorporated.
- Add egg and yogurt and mix until fully incorporated and dough comes to a mass.
- Flatten dough into a disk and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Cut out cookies using any shaped cookie cutter. Place cut-out cookies on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan and bake for 12 to15 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight opaque container.
To make the Mango Cookies:
Using the same ingredients, replace green tea powder with powdered mango (can be found in Asian stores) and use 2 tbs. Follow directions.