1 cup Mochiko sweet rice flour
1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder
2/3 cup + 1tbs water
1/4 cup sugar substitute (Splenda)
Ube paste or Purple Yam spread
1. Mix flour, sugar and green tea powder in microwaveable bowl until blended. Add water and mix well.
2. Cover with plastic and microwave on high for one minute. Stir and then microwave for another minute.
3. Take out of the microwave and check if cooked. If not, put for another 30 seconds and check again.
4. Prepare board or work area by sprinkling with cornstarch. Place cooked mochi on board and add more cornstarch on top.
5. Divide dough into 8 equal small pieces of 4 medium pieces.
6. Cover hands with cornstarch and flatten each dough ball into disks. Place 1 tsp filling on center.
7. Fold dough over filling and roll into balls, covering with more cornstarch if required. (You don’t want it to stick to your hand or work area.)
8. Serve at room temperature.
- I used purple yam spread bought from the Asian store. They come in jars.
- You can also use sweet bean paste, red bean paste which can be found in Japanese specialty markets or Asian stores