This recipe was adapted from the shortbread recipe at Joy of Baking site.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), room temperature NO SUBSTITUTIONS
- 1/4 cup Splenda (or 2/3 sugar)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract , not imitation
- 1 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Mix flours and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add vanilla and continue mixing until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add flour mixture and stir until incorporated. Add pecans.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator (to firm) for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Roll out dough into 1/4 inch thick in a floured surface. Using cookie cutters, cut out cookies and place in parchment lined baking sheets.
- Place cut cookies in refrigerator for 10 minutes so shape will be retained during baking.
- Bake in oven for 15 – 18 minutes or until light brown. Bake longer if you want it crisp and crumbly until a darker brown.
- Cool in wire rack.
Can be stored at room temperature or frozen.
To toast pecans, place in baking sheet and bake in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes until lightly brown.
- Adding rice flour changed the texture of the shortbread, which is what I was hoping for. It had a little more “grain” than the regular shortbread. You can certainly use just all purpose flour to get that buttery, smooth texture.