Adapted from Ina Garten’s Spinach Gratin recipe (my favorite!), I added Boursin cheese in the white sauce and still used parmesan and gruyere for the topping. Delicious!
- 1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry of excess water
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg or ground nutmeg
- 1 tbs flour
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup grated gruyere cheese (optional)
- 1 cup whole milk (I used fat free half and half, I didn’t have any milk!)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 package (5.2 oz) Boursin cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- Saute onion in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the onion is soft and translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add flour and ground nutmeg, stir to coat onion.
- Gradually add milk (or half and half) and cream, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Stir in Boursin cheese, a little at a time, until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Add spinach, half of parmesan cheese and ground pepper. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Top spinach mixture with the rest of the parmesan cheese and gruyere cheese.
- Bake in preheated 425F oven until golden and sauce is bubbly, about 20-25 minutes.