Only a few days until the 2009 Chinese New Year. January 26 starts the Year of the Ox. I thought I’d post some of our favorite chinese recipes to start the celebration. Who doesn’t like Chinese food? Okay, don’t answer that. Just enjoy this recipe.
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms
- 6 stalks baby bokchoy, cut lengthwise
- 1 bell pepper, sliced thinly (red, yellow, green or orange–or all of them!)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 2 tbs oil for sauteeing
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs dry sherry or chinese wine
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- If using dried mushrooms, soak in enough warm water until soft. Set aside.
- In wok or skillet, heat oil. Stir fry bokchoy and pepper for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, chicken broth, soy sauce and sugar. Cover and cook for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Blend dry sherry into cornstarch. Stir into vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until thickened.
- Serve warm over rice or with fish or meat.
Note: You can also add bamboo shoots, bean sprouts and/or water chestnuts (for added crunch)!