Definitely another recipe worthy of a place on your SuperBowl buffet table! Recipe #11 in our Chinese Lunar New Year Celebration series can be grilled outside or broiled in your oven. I added crushed chili peppers for a little kick.
- 2 lbs pork spare ribs or baby back ribs
- 2 tbs hoisin sauce
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 3 tbs sesame oil
- 2 tbs sambal oelek (or crushed chili pepper)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbs honey
- Cut ribs in serving pieces, one or two ribs per cut. Wash and pat dry with paper towel.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. This will yield a wet mixture, not saucy. Rub onto the ribs and marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven at 400F. Place ribs in a baking dish in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes covered with foil.
- When ribs are partialy cooked, remove the cover and broil for 15 minutes on each side until brown and seared.
- Serve with side dish of your choice.
Note: It is not necessary to cut the ribs in serving pieces before grilling or broiling. If using the outside grill, heat grill on high. Grill each side for 5 minutes to sear. Turn the grill down to low. Close the grill and cook ribs for 30 minutes each side.
The length of time it will take for your ribs to cook will depend on the kind of ribs you use and your oven. The above times are for my oven. Adjust the cooking time according to your oven. If not sure, check the doneness every 10 minutes.