Recipe #12 in our Chinese Lunar New Year Celebration series came from Ming Tsai’s book Blue Ginger. It is a very simple marinade of hoisin and chilis. You can easily double the recipe .
- 8 pieces chicken thighs or legs or combination of both
- 2 cups hoisin sauce
- 4 tbs sambal oelek or crushed chili pepper
- 2 bunches scallion, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup minced garlic (yes, that’s half a cup but you can decrease if you want)
- 1/4 cup minced ginger (yes, that’s quarter of a cup and decrease it if you want)
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl except chicken. Mix.
- Add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Heat your outdoor grill or preheat the broiler. Spray grill with non-stick cooking spray.
- Grill or broil chicken until brown and the juices run clear, turning once, approximately 12 – 15 minutes. Serve with salad or rice.