I first had this amazing sandwich at Stig and Vieno Lundberg’s house in San Diego. Although old friends of my husband, it was the first time I met them and they graciously invited us for lunch at their house in Valley Center. Vieno, who is originally from Finland, is an amazing cook. (And so is her husband Stig who hails from Sweden!) Vieno served this sandwich with a light salad and an apple crumble dessert that to this day I am trying to replicate. Here is Vieno’s recipe, as dictated to me over the phone days later after I had the courage to ask her for it. I often make this as a quick lunch or even dinner. In this recipe, I used homemade wholewheat english muffins.
- 1 cup crab meat (you can use the real thing or the imitation crab, either way it still tastes good)
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, fat -free half and half or milk (I use whatever I have in my refrigerator)
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided into two or 4 portions depending on size of muffins used (see below)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 halves english muffins or 2 large ones
- Melt butter in a medium hot sauce pan. Add flour to make a roux. Add cream (or milk) and cook until thick. Add more or less cream to make a thick enough white sauce. Add crab meat pieces, stir carefully and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
- Place muffin halves in a baking sheet. Divide the crab mixture in half (or four if using regular sized english muffins.)
- Add crab mixture on top of muffin, enough to cover. Add the cheese on top. Cheese need not cover the muffin as it will melt and spread so watch out how much you put. Sprinkle with paprika on top.
- Broil in the oven until cheese melts and top is crusty golden brown, usually 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove and serve with salad of choice.
Notes: You can use any quick melting cheese but we find that we liked the peppery monterey jack. I also sometimes use cayenne pepper instead of paprika as topping. The crab mixture can be refrigerated as I have often done when we have company and I am not sure how much people will be eating. The sandwich is easy to assemble, you can make extras in no time.