Crab Melt on Wholewheat English Muffins

crabsandwich5

I first had this amazing sandwich at Stig and Vieno Lundberg’s house in San Diego.  Although old friends of my husband, it was the first time I met them and they graciously invited us for lunch at their house in Valley Center.  Vieno, who is originally from Finland,  is an amazing cook.  (And so is her husband Stig who hails from Sweden!) Vieno served this sandwich with a light salad and an apple crumble dessert that to this day I am trying to replicate.  Here is Vieno’s recipe, as dictated to me over the phone days later after I had the courage to ask her for it. I often make this as a quick lunch or even dinner.    In this recipe, I used homemade wholewheat english muffins.

• 1 cup crab meat (you can use the real thing or the imitation crab, either way it still tastes good)
  • 2 tbs butter
  • 1 tbs flour
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream, fat -free half and half or milk  (I use whatever I have in my refrigerator)
  • 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded and divided into two or 4 portions depending on size of muffins used (see below)
  • paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 halves english muffins or 2 large ones

crabsandwich4

1. Melt butter in a medium hot sauce pan.  Add flour to make a roux.  Add cream (or milk) and cook until thick. Add more or less cream to make a thick enough white sauce.  Add crab meat pieces, stir carefully and season with salt and pepper.  Set aside to cool.
  2. Place muffin halves in a baking sheet.  Divide the crab mixture in half (or four if using regular sized english muffins.)
  3. Add crab mixture on top of muffin, enough to cover.  Add the cheese on top. Cheese need not cover the muffin as it will melt and spread so watch out how much you put.  Sprinkle with paprika on top.
  4. Broil in the oven until cheese melts and top is crusty golden brown, usually 10 – 15 minutes.
  5. Remove and serve with salad of choice.

crabsandwich6

Notes:  You can use any quick melting cheese but we find that we liked the peppery monterey jack.  I also sometimes use cayenne pepper instead of paprika as topping.  The crab mixture can be refrigerated as I have often done when we have company and I am not sure how much people will be eating.  The sandwich is easy to assemble, you can make extras in no time.

» Pigpigscorner said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 07:02 }

oh WOW this looks amazing!! The melted cheese and creamy crab topping is just awesome!

» Denise said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 10:02 }

This looks like a wonderful meal for a sunny spring day … maybe paired with a crisp Pinot Grigio ….mmmmmm ….

Denise
Http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com

» Natasha - 5 Star Foodie said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 11:02 }

Fabulous sandwich – love the crab and cheese – yummy!

» Deseree said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 02:02 }

Yum! This looks great! I LOVE crab.

» Kate said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 03:02 }

Looks beautiful, sounds delicious, and is so easy! thanks for sharing this with us

» Muneeba said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 04:02 }

Looks so easy but SO yummy! Definitely bookmarked to be made in the very near future! Thks for sharing.

» Maya said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 04:02 }

This really sounds sinful :) Would be wonderful for brunch.

» Manang said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 04:02 }

sounds and looks yummy! Easy to prepare pa (that is, once english muffins are done…have to check out that english muffin recipe….

» virtual chef said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 05:02 }

You can always use store-bought Thomas english muffins if you are pressed for time.

» Tangled Noodle said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 06:02 }

This would be perfect for Sunday-after-Valentine’s brunch! And you make your own English muffins?!?

» virtual chef said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 07:02 }

Perfect for brunch! And homemade english muffins are not difficult to make, i found out. :) I used the no-knead dough which can be stored in the refrigerator. Once you bake them, you can freeze the english muffins, too, and just defrost/toast what you need. But if in a bind, store-bought Thomas English muffins work as well.

» Syd said: { Feb 12, 2009 - 10:02 }

This made me so hungry, I made it for dinner tonight. Added some Old Bay Seasoning and served it with lemon wedges. A big hit at my house. Thanks!!

» jim said: { Feb 13, 2009 - 12:02 }

MMMM!! these look orgasmic! I think I may have literally jizzed in my pants simply from seeing these sexy little beasts! Maybe a Cucumber Cum Coleslaw salad on the side?? MMMM!!!

» David said: { Feb 13, 2009 - 09:02 }

My grandmother used to make something similar called Crab Meltaways and they were done with regular English muffins and cheddar as well as mayonnaise.

» virtual chef said: { Feb 13, 2009 - 11:02 }

Syd: that’s awesome! i will have to try it with old bay seasoning next time.

jim: hmmm…cucumber coleslaw sounds like the perfect partner for this!

david: yum…that mayonnaise will add a little sweetness that comes out after broiling. thanks for sharing that. i will have to try that, too. perhaps with small shrimps instead of crabmeat this time.

» Ziho said: { Mar 3, 2009 - 11:03 }

It looks so easy and delicious!

» Jonathan said: { Mar 15, 2009 - 08:03 }

My friend’s mom and dad make these on Long Island. The best thing is that they made batches of them, and they freeze exceptionally well. Just a couple minutes in the oven to re-heat and blam.

» virtual chef said: { Mar 15, 2009 - 08:03 }

jonathan: it’s great to hear it freezes well. i have yet to do that but now i know i can make them in batches and just reheat.

» Tanya said: { Oct 23, 2009 - 03:10 }

I’ve never had a crab melt before but this looks delicious. I can’t wait to make it now.