One of my favorite salads! I love the crunchy broccoli and the slightly sweet dressing. You can make it using raw broccoli (just make sure you wash it thoroughly) but we like it blanched a little bit. Here’s how we make this at home.
- 3 cups broccoli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Smart Balance)
- 1 tbs minced shallots
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs Mirin
- 2 tbs rice vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- sliced almonds (or any other seeds such as sunflower seeds, pepitas, pecans, etc)
- 2 tbs crumbled bacon
- Blanch broccoli quickly in hot water (about 1 minute or less). Drain and put in bowl of cold water to stop it from getting too cooked. Cut florets into smaller pieces and shred stems. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, mirin and bacon. Mix until thoroughly combined. Season with salt and pepper and ajdust as required.
- Add drained broccoli and combine until vegetables is all coated. Sprinkle with almonds.
We like this better when let to sit in the refrigerator overnight so the flavors are infused.