Another dessert for my Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24 Cooking with Edible Flowers entry. Adapted from a sicilian style cheesecake from allrecipes.com, this version flavors with lavender buds and then bake cheesecake crustless. The cake was then drizzled with lavender honey and decorated with crystallized violets.
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese (you can use homemade ricotta cheese)
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp dried lavender buds
- 1/3 cup amaretto
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbs lavender honey or lavender syrup
- crystallized violets for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 300F . Set rack in the middle of the oven. Butter and flour a 9 1/2 inch springform pan, and
tap out excess flour.
- Place sugar and dried lavender buds in spice grinder and process until fine.
- In a mixer, place ricotta cheese and add lavender sugar and flour. Mix on medium speed. Continue mixing and add eggs one at a time. Add amaretto and continue mixing until smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, until top is firm and light golden color. Test center with a skewer, making sure it comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack. It will sink slightly as it cools. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Pour 1 tbs lavender honey (or lavender syrup) and garnish with crystallized violets.