Edible Flowers: Nasturtium Butter

nasturtiumbutter1

My interest in edible flowers was piqued by last months Royal Foodie Joust which included edible flowers as one of the ingredients.  My only other encounter with edible flowers was a Lavender Creme Brulee I had in the South of France a couple of years ago.  Needless to say, the amazing recipes that came out of the Joust prompted me to research other recipes and experiment.

Nasturtium is probably the most popular (if not the most commonly used) flower in cooking.  It has a mild, peppery taste which makes it excellent in salads.  Here is a simple recipe, adapted from Alice Water’s book  Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza, Calzone.  Alice used this to make an pasta dish (which I have yet to try) that also uses squash blossoms. I made a couple of changes and used the wonderful, peppery result in my other experiments.

• 1 stick unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
  • 2 tbs chopped chives
  • 20 nasturtium blooms, chopped finely
  • salt and pepper

1. In a bowl, blend all the ingredients using a fork.  Season with salt and pepper and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
  2. You can store the butter in a ramekin or shape it into a log and wrap in plastic wrap before storing.

Using cream cheese instead of butter will give you an excellent dip or spread!

» Elyse said: { Mar 24, 2009 - 03:03 }

Mmm, what a fabulous sounding pasta dish. I am totally intrigued by edible flowers. I’ve only ever had them in salads, so I can’t wait to broaden my horizons and include them in more dishes!

» virtual chef said: { Mar 24, 2009 - 07:03 }

hi elyse: i will be posting a few dishes using edible flowers in the next few days so let me know when you try any one of them. you probably have easier access to them in the stores where you are than where i am.

» Dana Zia said: { Mar 24, 2009 - 01:03 }

This is such a good idea! I am looking forward to trying these. We don’t have any nasturtiums yet but in the summer and fall I have a plethora. I wonder if you could use this with other edible flowers, like impatients or pansies? I do have pansies right now. Thanks!

» Digigirl said: { Mar 24, 2009 - 03:03 }

I’ve always loved the idea of using flowers for cooking, but have a hard time growing things here in super hot / clay dirt Texas, and I’ve yet to find any at the stores. One of these days I’m gonna find a way. This is a wonderful and unusual use. Thanks!

» virtual chef said: { Mar 24, 2009 - 04:03 }

Dana: Not sure how pansies will fare with butter but I have a recipe that uses it on cream cheese. I don’t know about impatiens, though. Are they edible?

Digigirl: I have the same problem about growing things but with the opposite weather. I am up in the mountains of Tahoe and spring doesn’t arrive until June, if we are lucky. I ordered my flowers from an organic farm in San Diego and also an herb lady here in town who grows organic flowers.

» desmone007 said: { Mar 24, 2009 - 06:03 }

Very interesting, I definitely want to see the upcoming posts. I just wanted to drop by and let you know that we have a new widget at Foodista.com, I thought you might want to try it out. Check it out here! Let me know what you think of the new widget. Thanks!

» Jescel said: { Mar 24, 2009 - 08:03 }

cool.. this is an excellent idea. I’ve only had edible flowers in my salad.

» lisaiscooking said: { Mar 25, 2009 - 01:03 }

I’d love to try this! Sadly, my nasturtiums aren’t blooming, but I have a lot of leaves. Here in Austin, they’re season is almost over.

» Tangled Noodle said: { Mar 26, 2009 - 09:03 }

I’ve had nasturtiums in salads (courtesy of my mother-in-law) but this butter looks and sounds wonderful!

{ Dec 9, 2010 - 11:12:09 } Edible Flowers – Nouveau Raw