Stephenie Caughlin of Seabreeze Organic Farms of San Diego, CA gave me this recipe. I got several bags of organic edible flowers from their farm which I used in my Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24 Cooking with Edible Flowers dishes. During an email exchange, she mentioned a dish which she prepared and served at an international naval officers party. It turned out to be a big hit with the men so I re-created her dish using nasturtium blooms from their farm! She was also nice enough to send me several nasturtium leaves which I used to make Nasturtium Leaves Dolma.
- 10 – 15 fresh nasturtium flowers, pesticide free and organically grown
- 1 8 0z package of cream cheese, softened at room temperatue
- 1 can of pink salmon, drained and shredded
- 1 tbs capers
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- nasturtium leaves for serving
- In a bowl, combine cream cheese, salmon and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly and season with salt and pepper. Add capers.
- Place about half a teaspoon cream cheese mixture (more or less, depending on the size of the flowers) inside the throat of each nasturtium bloom.
- Fold each petal over the cheese and press. Place one caper on top for decoration.
- Serve on nasturtium leaves.