Lasang Pinoy Sundays: Bread-y or Not!

Pan de Coco and Pan de Ube

pandecoco1

This is my first time to post for Lasang Pinoy Sunday Edition.  Lasang Pinoy, Sundays (or LaPiS) is a weekly food event that showcases Filipino Tastes focusing on food photography.  This week, the theme is bread.  And the look on my husband’s face when I told him about it is just a classic. “What? More bread?!” For the past few weeks (or probably a couple of months), I have been learning and practicing how to bake bread.  And with only two people in the house, my bread experiments either end up at my neighbors’ coffee tables or in our freezer! I am running out of freezer space! To make room, I served a “bread-themed” menu on our monthly get-together with friends: ciabatta, wholewheat french bread, focaccia. So you can sympathize with my husband for getting a little bit alarmed with my current plans.  Even when I told him I will be making Pan de Sal (which is something he likes to eat for breakfast–sometimes), it was not enough to convince him to “get on board” with the experiment.  Not that it requires time-consuming, mind-boggling input from him except taste-testing the food. Nope. He wasn’t buying it.

pandecoco3

The upside of it all is that:  I rule the kitchen. (Mwahahaha!). Nobody else is actually allowed to “hang out” in my kitchen, except my dog. So I can, strictly speaking, do whatever I want. (hey, it’s a free world!) But I don’t want to be on my husband’s bad side either especially if I wanted a new double oven for summer. I decided to do my pan de sal experiment (I was planning on making multi-grain pandesal from my wholewheat pandesal recipe) some other time.  Maybe I’ll just post something from one of my previous experiments.  Or photos from our bread-themed party last week.  Then I received an email my childhood friend Carlos who is now living in Los Angeles.  He’s not feeling well, suffering from asthma the poor thing.  My nurturing instinct kicked in immediately. Why is it that the first thing we want to do when somebody is sick is to feed them? I crave my comfort food even when I am just suffering from the common cold. A hot bowl of arroz caldo, hot calamansi juice, pandesal with cheese– oops…there’s that pandesal again. I am in Lake Tahoe and can’t possibly drive to Los Angeles just to deliver freshly-baked pandesal to my “ailing” friend Carlos. But I can certainly make something that will last the 2-3 days it will take for a priority mail package to get from my post office to his house! And so my PAN DE COCO and PAN DE UBE bread rolls were born.

pandecoco2

I have been meaning to make pan de coco from the Challah bread dough I learned to make from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day book.    I love that I can freeze portions of the dough and take it out when I need it.  A bag of unsweetened shredded coconut and a jar of ready-made ube jam and we’re cooking with gas!

Pan de Coco

Filling:

• 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup sugar or honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup water

1. Mix all ingredients in a pan and simmer on medium heat until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool. Best made the day before and refrigerate until it is time to use.
  2. Dust dough with flour and roll into a ball. Let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into two smaller balls.
  3. Take one dough and roll out into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.  Place coconut filling in the center of rectangle  leaving 1/2 inch on all sides.  Roll lenghtwise as if making cinammon rolls and seal seams and ends. Flatten a little bit on top then divide  (using sharp  knife or pasty cutter)  into 6 equal portions.
  4. Place in baking sheet (lined with parchment paper) about an inch apart, cover with plastic wrap or kitchen towel and let rest until doubled in size (mine took one hour).
  5. Preheat oven 350F. Remove plastic cover and brush top of dough with egg wash.
  6. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool in wire rack.

To make Pan de Ube:

Follow the same instructions as above for the dough.  Place ready-made ube jam enough to cover the rectange with 1/2 inch space left all around.  Fold, cut and let pieces rest until doubled. Bake at 350F for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in wire rack.

lpsbutton1Notes: You can also make these bread into rolls, placing a tablespoon worth of filling in each flattened roll of dough.  I wanted my bread to look like the ones we used to buy at our local bakery store where we grew up so I flattened them instead of shaping into rolls.

» ces said: { Mar 7, 2009 - 05:03 }

hi raquel!
thanks for this very first entry for LaPiS! you are good! oh! and i will welcome this in my mailbox! lol! my daughter will definitely love pan de ube…i just might try this soon:) as for me, i have more reason now to start making my own ciabatta and focaccia..thanks for posting your recipes!:)

» miriam said: { Mar 7, 2009 - 06:03 }

i love pan de coco. there’s a local bakery in front of our office which i frequent and that is what i buy for snacks. sometimes its spanish bread or just monay. i hope challah dough is not difficult to do; i would like to try it so i can also freeze it and take it out when i need it. ditto with baking with the shredded coconut.

your fotos are great!

» virtual chef said: { Mar 7, 2009 - 06:03 }

thanks, ces!

miriam: a few weeks ago, i couldn’t bake anything. then i learned how to make the challah bread dough. no kneading. it is so easy and great that i stays in the refrigerator for days and freezer for longer periods. using it to make rolls, the filling possibilities are endless!

» Gmirage said: { Mar 7, 2009 - 06:03 }

AAYY, those looks heavenly! ;) Enjoy your week!

» Carlos said: { Mar 7, 2009 - 09:03 }

Yes I remember the wonderful breads of our childhood Raquel – pan de bomba, pan de coco, pan de leche. We would always get our bread from Aling Moreng near my Lola Upeng’s house in Zapote St. Makati when I was a kid. Then in the 70s came aling Jean’s hot pan de sal along Kakarong. Sometimes we’d go to the Malolos bakery or any of the bakeries in the eponymous del Pan Street.

When we moved nearer Greenbelt, it was Gardenia bread from United Supermarket and when that was razed to make space for the new mall, it was Delifrance. Then the specialty breads (ensaymada and cheese roll) of Mary Grace.

Your cooking takes me back to gentler times, thank you for the memories and the nurturing.

Carlos (feeling a little better)

» iska said: { Mar 7, 2009 - 11:03 }

that’s a wonderful story! and quite interesting! yeah… we rule!

» Elyse said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 12:03 }

What a great event! These look absolutely delicious. Mmm!

» luna miranda said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 01:03 }

your pan de coco looks tempting! i love focaccia…with tomatoes, onions, herbs & olive oil, hayyy sarap!

» virtual chef said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 01:03 }

Carlos: glad to learn you are feeling better. I love Aling Jean’s superhot pandesal every afternoon. Yes, I do remember the Malolos bakery in front of Mang Ben’s (Ang) store. Of course, Aling Sepa was our favorite anyway. She had the best banana cue. :)

» Zriz said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 03:03 }

Wow! Palagi kayong nag bread ha! Those look absolutely yummy!

Serving mine HERE

» Lynn said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 08:03 }

I have not tried pan de ube though I see them at Pan De Manila. I grew up eating lots of pan de coco though. Sarap!

» Jay said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 09:03 }

wow masarap yan, at mas masarap kasi home made :D

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

» alpha said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 10:03 }

YUM! parang ang sarap ng pan de ube. patikim naman. :)

» julie said: { Mar 8, 2009 - 06:03 }

Home baking rules! Both bread are yummy! :) Am thinking of these for afternoon snacks with a tall glass of ice-cold Coke :D

By the way, welcome to LaPiS :)

» Jescel said: { Mar 9, 2009 - 11:03 }

I can have some of those too! This pan de coco takes me back to the Philippines when we would wait for a bakery nearby to get hot pan de cocos at 3:00pm!

» peachkins said: { Mar 9, 2009 - 06:03 }

welcome to La.Pi.S….
mukhang masarap yung pan de coco at pan de ube kasi hindi store bought..

» virtual chef said: { Mar 9, 2009 - 06:03 }

malinamnam at katakamtakam! :)

» Pinky said: { Mar 10, 2009 - 01:03 }

Can’t believe you did all these from scratch – amazing! Am sure your friend easily bounced back to health with these yummy goodies. Welcome to LaPiS! :)

» JMom said: { Mar 12, 2009 - 01:03 }

Great looking breads! I bet they were delicious too :)

» Carlos said: { Mar 12, 2009 - 03:03 }

Dear Raquel & Other Gentle Readers,

Re: We Actually Had Some!!!!!!!

We got a sampling of Raquel’s pan de coco last night and I couldn’t help myself I just had to have some pan de coco!!!! It was so good! It was better than pan de coco back home because your version is so full of coco (unlike in Manila where they just put the coco filling on top of the dough, let it rest for 5 minutes and then take it out and put it in the next piece of dough – para magkalasa lang. Hahahahahhaa!)

We’re attacking the other breads – I think there was a ciabatta and something wrapped in aluminum foil. These breads are so heavy and we’re excited to have them over the weekend with some friends!!!

Thank you, thank you for your wonderful goodies. Labyah!

Carlos

» Carlos said: { Mar 12, 2009 - 03:03 }

And yes Pinky, I am back on my feet again, thanks for your note! Carlos

» virtual chef said: { Mar 12, 2009 - 03:03 }

Carlos: Glad you received the package. I believe you have Ube Loaf, Blueberry Challah Bread, Pan de Coco, Pan de Ube and Peach Yogurt Bread. Sorry I didn’t mark them. :( Enjoy!! (The Peach bread is sugarless!)

» u8mypinkcookies said: { Jun 22, 2010 - 11:06 }

ang yummy :) fave ko pan de coco, pan de ube, or the one with red filling!

» Let Me Eat Cake said: { May 6, 2011 - 06:05 }

i love pan de coco! thanks for sharing this recipe can’t wait to make it from scratch, the Filipino bakery is so far from my house!