Lasang Pinoy Sundays: hip to be SQUARE

CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO SANS RIVAL

sansrival21

For this week’s Lasang Pinoy theme of   “hip to be SQUARE, I present MY piece of CHOCOLATE PISTACHIO SANS RIVAL.  Ta-da!  Yes, my piece. It was almost a third of the whole Sans Rival cake!  My most memorable Sans Rival was the one from a street side food cart in Manila called “Burger Machine”.  That was probably the first time I had Sans Rival.  They sold it in little rectangular slices, full of cashew (or probably peanuts) and just the right ‘chewiness’ in the meringue and the right sweetness of the buttercream.  It was perfect! Of course, most pastry shop sell them as round cakes. But I like to make mine in rectangles and slice them into 1-inch pieces for freezing.  However when craving starts, half of that rectangular dessert will do just fine! :)

lpsbutton1

In this recipe, I added cocoa powder in the meringue layers and used pistachio nuts (only because I didn’t have any almonds nor cashews left).  I also made a mocha buttercream instead of regular buttercream.  But do as you please with the recipe and enjoy!

For the meringue wafers:

• 3/4 cup  egg whites (approximately 3 – 4 egg whites depending on the size)
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tbs cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped pistachios (or any nuts you choose)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

For Mocha Buttercream:

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp instant coffee
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 4-5 egg yolks
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • chopped nuts

sansrivalr

1. Preheat oven to 300F. Line 13 x 9 baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  2. In a bowl, beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until stiff. Fold in cocoa powder, nuts and vanilla.
  3. Spread evenly on prepared pan.  Bake until light brown (approximately 1 hour). Loosen and remove from pan while hot. Cut into three equal rectangles. Set aside to cool in wire rack.
  4. In a saucepan, combine sugar, coffee and water. Boil until syrup forms a soft ball when a little is dropped into a cup of cold water. (If you have candy thermometer, syrup temperature should be 240F.) Remove from heat.
  5. In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks until thick. Slowly pour in the syrup, beating constantly  until mixture is thick and cool.
  6. Cream the butter until soft and beat in the cream. Fold in the egg mixture and continue beating until smooth.  (Alternatively, you can also add butter 1 tbs at a time while beating continuously.  The mixture will look soupy and curdled at first but it will eventually look like a creamy frosting.)  Chill if too soft to spread.
  7. To assemble, spread frosting evenly on one layer of meringue. Sprinkle with nuts. Repeat with the rest of meringue layers ending with top layer of frosting. Frost sides of cake if you want. Sprinkle top with nuts.
  8. Chill before serving.

Note:  I find that this tastes better frozen! I freeze 1-inch slices and wrap them in plastic wrap then in a  foil or ziploc.

sansrival11

Lasang Pinoy, Sundays (or LaPiS) is a weekly food event that showcases Filipino Tastes focusing on food photography.

» Pinky said: { Mar 28, 2009 - 12:03 }

So scrumptious! Wish I had your skill in making such a “complicated” (at least for me!) dessert. :)

And yes, who could forget the Burger Machine sans rival? So love this too!

» Jay said: { Mar 28, 2009 - 12:03 }

wow ang sarap

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

» Munchkin Mommy said: { Mar 28, 2009 - 04:03 }

I do remember the Burger Machine sans rival! There was a Burger Machine stall near where we used to live in Sampaloc. :)

I’ve always wanted to try my hands at making sans rival. I hope to give it a try soon.

My La.Pi.S. entry is here.

» peachkins said: { Mar 28, 2009 - 06:03 }

Grabe! mukhang ang sarap-sarap ng Sansrival na yan!

» miriam said: { Mar 28, 2009 - 10:03 }

wow, galing mo naman! chocolate pistachio sans rival! have not made sans rival yet. hope to do it soon

» Lynn said: { Mar 29, 2009 - 07:03 }

My sister and I also got hooked w/ Burger Machine’s sans rival. Sometimes I find it too sweet but yes, it’s loaded with nuts. Really tasty. And this one you created seems really good.

» Elyse said: { Mar 29, 2009 - 10:03 }

Wow! This creation looks fantastic. Chocolate and pistachio go so well together!

» Thess said: { Mar 29, 2009 - 02:03 }

The first photo showed bit by bit, like it was really teasing me *lol* and when it finally came to full view, I went nut- pistachio nuts!!…beautiful sans rival, Raquel!!
If this was before me, I’d gobble it down faster than a wink!
then afterwards I’m sure I’d kick myself for not taking pictures *wink*

» ces said: { Mar 29, 2009 - 04:03 }

thank you so much for sharing this recipe!!!you have encouraged me to do sans rival finally! and with my husband’s affirmation [read:drooling reaction] since he saw me reading your post:)i love the pistachio idea, but i might try this first w/o the chocolate:)and mocha part…i hope deleting that doesn’t make any difference in the consistency..what do you think?
i wonder why the burger machine sans rival is so airy yet chewy! sarap! bitin lang ang isang slice hehe:)

» Zriz said: { Mar 29, 2009 - 06:03 }

Wow! I also love Sans Rival! I tried baking this a few years ago pero I had a hard time with the wafer! The end result didn’t look as pretty as yours (but the taste was a winner!).

Serving mine HERE

» JMom said: { Mar 30, 2009 - 09:03 }

oh wow!! that is one beautiful sans rival! I actually like the green pistachios on top. Great color contrast. I bet it was delicious too!

» virtual chef said: { Mar 30, 2009 - 10:03 }

Pinky: once you get the hang of it, it’s not so complicated. of course, it helps if you really are craving for sans rival and there’s no other place near you to get it! :)

Jay: thanks for stopping by.

Munchkin Mommy: let me know when you try it. I think Burger Machine spoiled me for other sans rival. :)

Peachkin: yummylicious….halos hindi na mabitawan!!

Miriam: pag talagang hinahanap mo yung panlasa…you’ll do anything. or in my case, I’ll make anything! :)

Lynn: I know. maybe the nuts balances the sweetness. It’s still good!!!

elyse: i love it…i think chocolate goes with anything! :)

Thess: I nearly did that. Just started eating and almost forgot the camera!. addictive…!

ces: making it plain will not make a difference in the consistency. I think Burger Machine sans rival is chewy because they freeze it. I find that my frozen sans rival has the same consistency. I find it delicious to bite on chewy, cold meringue and let the sweetness sink it..! oh my… i better get another one from the freezer..!!

Zriz: it’s time to try it again…!

Jmom: really, really yummy! okay…i’m addicted to it.

» Manang said: { Apr 2, 2009 - 10:04 }

Yehey, now it is up (I am quite late in bloghopping!). I will try this one nowadays; hubby might like sans rival this time since he is a chocolate lover, but maybe I will stick to almonds (which he prefers over pistachio).

However, I will have to finish first my (second batch of) almond sans rival sitting in the fridge (I experimented with thicker meringue and using yolks for buttercream).

thanks for the recipe!

» virtual chef said: { Apr 2, 2009 - 04:04 }

manang: i look forward to your version!

» joy said: { Apr 1, 2010 - 09:04 }

Hello,just made this sans rival but was so disappointed…pls. tell me what went wrong.From the meringue,it was popping up while baking and thought that it would shrink when cooled but it’s not.From the frosting,it turn out soupy and was putting it in the freezer to make chilling quicker but still when spreading,it was pouring out on the sides and the thickness after layering it was in between 7 and 8 cm,is it really that high?Pls. help, want to try it again bec. it looks delicious.Hoping for your quick response.Thanks

» virtual chef said: { Apr 2, 2010 - 08:04 }

hi: i am not sure what went wrong with your sans rival. what do you mean by “popping up”? the meringue is not supposed to rise while baking. it should have been fluffy and stiff after whipping the egg whites and stayed the same during baking. most times, meringue won’t form stiff because of a small piece of yolk that was included or something else but it does not sound like this was the case with your cake. once stiff and mixed with the other ingredients, it might rise ONLY A BIT during baking but not enough to be noticeable. i wish i could have seen how it looked like….as for the frosting, the buttercream looks soupy or curdled only while you are beating the butter and egg yolks. Once they are incorporated, It should have the consistency of thick whipped cream. i am at a loss as to what happened. :(
you can layer it as high as you want or not, depending on how much frosting you put in between. or you can do only two layers like a sandwich. hope this helps a bit….

» joy said: { Apr 6, 2010 - 05:04 }

hello again,what i mean to popping up was lumobo yung 4 corners at nagkaroon ng air inside,and i thought huhupa sya when cooled,but not.Kaya nahirapan din akong i-layer sya dahil hindi flat yung meringue.But it taste good,my german husband even said as if we’re eating a bar of chocolate called snickers.Anyway,i admit that maybe i made a lot of mistakes and not careful enough in following the procedure.Next time i must really take care.Some questions; when to add the cream? and eggyolk-syrup mixture must be cooled properly before adding the butter? Thanks and more power!

» virtual chef said: { Apr 8, 2010 - 11:04 }

hi joy: now i see the missing part in the instructions. you can add the cream after you beat/cream the butter. then you fold in the egg mixture and continue beating until smooth. chill if still soft. hope that works. the eggyolk mixture cools down while you are beating it constantly until thick. no further cooling required.