Lasang Pinoy Sundays: my Kitchen

kitchen1

This week’s Lasang Pinoy Sundays theme is: my Kitchen.  Oh, dear.   Well, this is about all you will see of my kitchen! It’s difficult to pick a good angle (ahem!)  because it always looks like a war zone, with utensils, bowls, ingredients, spices and what not lying around or spread everywhere.  (“It’s difficult to find anything in your kitchen!”) That from my “sometimes comedian” husband.  If you look closely enough, you might be able guess what I will be cooking this weekend. Or maybe not.  With a hodge podge of ingredients buried amidst my bowls and plates, even I have difficulty figuring out what  recipe I’m supposed to be trying today.

kitchen3

I do have a couple in mind (and will be posting in the next couple of days). It is from a ripped off Lifestyle section of the Philippine Daily Inquirer (featuring Chef Ed Quimson) which I found inside one of my kitchen drawers. I’ve never heard of Chef Ed Quimson until this article.  The two recipes featured are Caldereta and Paella Tinola and they didn’t look anything special at first glance. Except that the Caldereta had melted cheese topping ( I’ve never had caldereta with cheese before.) and the Paella Tinola mixes rice with typical chicken tinola  recipe, cooked  in a paella pan and then baked in the oven.  I also read somewhere that Chef Ed made Lumpia Caldereta which I can only assume used this caldereta recipe as lumpia filling. That’s interesting enough for me to try these two dishes.

kitchen7

The mango, chili and shallot were leftovers from the Spicy Catfish Salad I made for lunch. The lemongrass and asparagus are for my entry to the monthly Royal Foodie Joust. I am testing a dish which uses Check out my entry, a version of satay using almonds, asparagus and lemongrass.

kitchen51

lpsbutton1

Well… I better get going if I am to finish even one dish for tonight’s dinner. Hope you enjoyed the sneak peak into my kitchen. And come visit again to check on how I did with my Chef Ed recipes!

» Julie said: { Mar 14, 2009 - 08:03 }

I don’t mind having a messy kitchen as long as something good will result in this :) Its the cleaning up after the storm or, ok, the war,that is difficult :D

Those dishes you mentioned are interesting.

Happy Sunday!

» ces said: { Mar 14, 2009 - 08:03 }

i am assuming you also have a black/white and red theme:) from those photos:) we’ve always had cheese on our caldereta, which is one of my mom’s specialty…i do go the extra mile at times adding gata[which is with a Batangas origin, they say] and the Paella Tinola sounded interesting, but i’m guessing this is a cross between our tinola and the Singaporean Hainanese Chicken…which is truly very similar to tinola [in terms of ingredients]I realize when i made it myself way back. let me know when you have finally cooked this and posted…

» iska said: { Mar 14, 2009 - 10:03 }

I can totally relate. Kitchens, especially big ones, tend to look like a warzone. But that is how you get things done and food yummy!

» Tita Beng said: { Mar 15, 2009 - 06:03 }

That sounds interesting, Caldereta with cheese and Paella Tinola! Start your experiment and post the finish product soon.
I think those recipes are ordinary ones made especial.

» Gmirage said: { Mar 15, 2009 - 11:03 }

I learned cooking caldereta with cheese from a friend just last year and it is certainly a lot different…

I love your bowls! Have a nice week!

» virtual chef said: { Mar 15, 2009 - 11:03 }

Julie: Yep…cleaning is not a fun job. but somebody has to do it….:)

Ces: I will try your caldereta recipe with gata (probably the only way i can get my husband to eat it!) and maybe increase the hot chilis. Will update the link from this page when posted. thanks for stopping by. and unfortunately, my kitchen is generally green….my utensils just happen to be more black/white. :(

iska: thanks for stopping. it really is a wonder that i get anything done in my kitchen. it is very small and lacking in counter space….or maybe i just have a lot more junk!

Tita Beng: would you like to cook the recipes with me? should be fun!

Gmirage: I will be posting when I cook my caldereta. i am sure i will be changing/adding the ingredients. and i love my bowls, too! :) i got them at the Landmark in Greenbelt a few years back during a trip back home. They were on sale and I bought 12. I had to carefully pack them but ended up hand-carrying it because I was afraid to find them in pieces in my suitcase. I since purchased more stuff from SM (just love shopping!) like the wine decanter and a few bento boxes. thanks for stopping by.

» JMom said: { Mar 15, 2009 - 04:03 }

I love those bowls too! I don’t blame you for hand carrying them :) I think I read somewhere that cluttered kitchen is a sign of that a true cook is in residence. At least that’s how I rationalize my mess. lol!

» luna miranda said: { Mar 15, 2009 - 11:03 }

it’s ok having a messy kitchen as long as you find everything where you put it.:D our caldereta at home has cheese ever since i can remember. the christmas queso de bola is usually reserved for caldereta.:D

» Thess said: { Mar 16, 2009 - 03:03 }

I like your bowls! And my eyes got stuck on your patis because that brand I use too. I also love your mortar and pestle, must be nice to use it instead of machine that somehow gives mixture another texture.

Why didn’t I think of doing shots such as yours to hide my mess? ha ha! btw you take such lovely photos :)

» virtual chef said: { Mar 16, 2009 - 08:03 }

thanks, Thess. that mortar and pestle is another one of my “finds” from Manila. at least I didn’t hand carry that one but i bought 3 different sizes and they were darn heavy. i love using them!

» Munchkin Mommy said: { Mar 16, 2009 - 11:03 }

those are the words i was looking for…”war zone”. my kitchen looks like a war zone most of the time! it looks like there’s ample natural lighting in your kitchen. that adds to a kitchen’s charm. :)

» Manang said: { Mar 17, 2009 - 06:03 }

Love your ceramics!
My kitchen is always a war-zone. It gets picked up maybe once a week or every two weeks…or when I do not feel like cooking because I have to clean up the house…hehe.