Edible Flowers: Hibiscus (Rosella) Jam

rosellajam

Hibiscus (hibiscus sabdariffa) is widely available at Latin Markets or wholefoods store. They often are packaged as dried flowers and are also called “flor de jamaica” or “rosella”. The taste is similar to that of cranberries–sour and tangy.

• 2 cups dried hibiscus flowers
  • 1 cup  sugar
  • 2 cups orange juice

1. In a saucepan, combine all ingredients and slowly bring to a boil. Simmer for 45 minutes until the jam is reduced.
  2. Transfer to a food processor or blender and process for 3 minutes until mixture is chopped into smaller pieces. Alternatively, you can use a hand blender and process until reduced.
  3. Let cool and refrigerate. Transfer into sterilized jam jars for storage.

Notes:  You can add more sugar, depending on how sweet you want the jam to be.  If you use water instead of orange juice, use 1 1/2 cups sugar.

» Sophie said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 12:04 }

This looks divine. I love using jam as a marinade, I bet this would be great…or even in muffins–delicious!

» virtual chef said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 01:04 }

Sophie: that’s an excellent idea. i have not tried it in muffins but will do so this weekend. and using it as a marinade (i’m thinking pork tenderloin) sounds great! thanks for stopping by.

» Sarah said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 02:04 }

interesting recipe. I have a hibiscus bush in my yard, a red one and another apricot colored. How do you suppose I go about the recipe with fresh flowers?
cheers, Sarah

» virtual chef said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 02:04 }

hi sarah: the hibiscus i used is the hibiscus sabdariffa. a photo of it can be viewed here: http://www.cafenilson.com/2009/04/edible-flowers-hibiscus-coulis/. i am not sure what kind of hibiscus you have in your yard or if those are edible. one website that might be helpful is http://www.hibiscus.org/ to check if what you have is edible.

» Tangled Noodle said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 08:04 }

I do like tart and tangy flavors although I’ve never been a fan of hibiscus, particularly in teas where it’s quite common. But this does look really good . . .

» scoop said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 08:04 }

Where do you get these wonderful ideas?? This is an amazing use of hibiscus. I only know to use it in teas, but this jam looks like it will be a great addition to any pancakes, scones, etc…
thanks for sharing the tip on where to buy the dried flowers. I would never have thought of going to a Latin market. Luckily, where I live there are a lot of Latin markets so I will try to hunt them down next time I’m there.

» virtual chef said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 10:04 }

scoop: once i got into testing edible flowers, i couldn’t stop! :)

» Sneh said: { Apr 14, 2009 - 10:04 }

Thnx for dropping by! This jam looks so exotic and delicious. Yeah .. the ice cream could most definitely be made with dried rose petals .. I reckon the flavor would be even more intense!

» Elyse said: { Apr 18, 2009 - 01:04 }

I’ve never tried hibiscus flower, but I’m totally intrigued. I really want to try some of this jam.

» nikita said: { Jan 24, 2011 - 08:01 }

can you use a sugar substitute to make it good for diabetic? would it still have same consistency??