This week’s theme is: MELTed bliss. And here is one of mine. CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE or Molten Lava Cake. Since the time I first tasted this at a Chili’s restaurant, I have always wanted to make it at home. But I know I wouldn’t be satisfied with one small serving so I try not to make it as often. Then, of course, Betty Crocker came up with their low calorie microwaveable serving size and that just made it easier to enjoy this sinful dessert. Well.. here’s how I make it at home. With 70% cocoa bar, a couple of eggs, flour and baked for 10 minutes to get the gooey center.
CHOCOLATE MOLTEN LAVA CAKE
- 6 oz. semi-sweet baking chocolate (or use your favorite 70% dark chocolate bar)
- 6 oz. butter, cut into smaller pieces and softened at room temperature (approx 1 1/2 sticks of butter)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Flour
- butter for ramekins
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat chocolate on low flame in a double boiler until melted.
- Add butter and stir until combined.
- In another bowl, beat eggs and sugar. Add melted chocolate and continue beating. Add the flour and stir.
- Butter 4 individual ramekins and pour in chocolate batter.
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Tip ramekins upside down onto dessert plates and serve.
Notes: Butter the bottom of the ramekin first, and then butter the sides, wiping fromthe bottom up to the top. It helps the chocolate to rise even more. If you don’t like a gooey, melted center , just cook for a little longer and you will have an incredibly moist chocolate cake.
Oh..and I do have another blissfully sinful dish. A crabmelt sandwich that is so easy to make. Perfect for lunch, dinner or even breakfast. Click on the photo for the recipe.