Lasang Pinoy Sundays: Swirl and Twirl

HOMEMADE WHOLEWHEAT PASTA

homemadepasta1

This week’s theme is  SWIRL AND TWIRL and immediately I thought of pasta.  But we had to drive down to San Diego for an emergency trip so I don’t have anything in my refrigerator that I can use. (Read: I was too lazy to go shopping at the grocery store!)  I do have flour in my freezer, though, so I decided to  make homemade wholewheat pasta. It really is a breeze if you have a pasta machine (I got mine on a year-end sale from the cooking school down the street for $5!) But if you don’t, you can still making it using a rolling pin.  It just takes longer and a lot of arm exercise! I made fettuccini and spaghetti noodles and sauteed the spaghetti in butter, garlic and fresh chopped basil leaves (from my herb pot garden)  for a quick snack. Yumm!!  I had my pasta drying on my kitchen chair and on the towel rack by the refrigerator, my husband wasnt’ sure that it won’t fall apart when boiled. Such confidence in my cooking! Hah!  These  works best for us since I can make only a small portion if I want. And it’s fresh! Of course, the pasta can be dried and frozen if you want.

homemadepasta4

• 1 cup wholewheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • some water (to bind the dough)

1. Place flour in a bowl or on a clean workspace.
  2. Make a well on the center and add the egg. Start incorporating flour and egg using your fingers. Add water a tablespoon at a time and mix until you get a firm and still somewhat sticky dough.
  3. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
  4. Divide into 4 smaller doughs and run each dough through the pasta machine until it is thin enough that you can see the silhouette of your hand behind the pasta sheet.  Cut as needed (spaghetti, fettucini, ravioli, etc.)
  5. Dry on a pasta rack or on a tablecloth for at least an hour.
  6. To cook, boil 4 cups of salted water.  Add noodles and cook for 2 -3 minutes.  Fresh noodles only need to be cooked 2 minutes especially if you will be using it with sauce.
  7. Add to your favorite pasta sauce.

homemadepasta3

lpsbutton1

The above recipe can easily serve  4 people  (depending on how huge the servings are!).  You can also experiment with different flavors by adding vegetables to the dough such as chopped spinach or beets. Or you can use different flours such as semolina, soy, all purpose or buckwheat.

» Pinky said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 01:04 }

Wow! Pasta making is something which I neither have the talent nor the patience in doing so I definitely admire you for whipping up your pasta from scratch – bravo! :D

» Munchkin Mommy said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 02:04 }

i have never made my own pasta. then of course, i don’t have a pasta machine. hee hee. someday soon, i hope to be able to give making my own pasta a try. nice take on this week’s theme! :)

» Elyse said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 04:04 }

What a great play upon the theme! Your pasta looks fabulous. I always love seeing pictures of teh pasta drying. Fabulous!

» jenn said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 05:04 }

Funny you used the towel rack to let the pasta dry. You gotta make use of what you have in the kitchen, right? But I’m glad it turned it great. Looks delicious, too!

» iska said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 05:04 }

Wow! Kudos to you for making your own! Nagutom ako… yummy!
Last week I bought freshly-made whole grain pasta and cooked it with carbonara sauce. It was absolutely YUM!

» FoodieJenn said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 08:04 }

For a pasta love like me, I sure would like to try making my own pasta, too.

Mine is up here. Happy weekends!

» julie said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 08:04 }

Homemade! I love it! Fresh and clean :)

» Manang said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 08:04 }

You are soooo LAZY….NOT!!!!

Grabe…I would love to have a taste of homemade pasta…Maybe I should get a pasta machine…hmmmm….

» Tangled Noodle said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 09:04 }

Wow! That’s impressive – I’m a wee bit too impatient to make my own pasta but seeing this, I really should consider giving it a try! I didn’t realize it’s relatively easy to make (as far as the dough recipe). I wish I could buy a pasta machine for $5 only!

» Tita Olive said: { Apr 25, 2009 - 09:04 }

Where’d you got those talents? Resourcefulness and everything? ha ha ha! My two thumbs up for you!

» miriam said: { Apr 26, 2009 - 06:04 }

wholewheat pasta, oh wow! sounds difficult to do. have to gather much confidence to do it. kudos!

» Jay - Agent112778 said: { Apr 28, 2009 - 11:04 }

uy pasta…mas yummier talaga ang homemade kasi made w/ love

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

» ces said: { Apr 28, 2009 - 02:04 }

laziness leads to remarkable results! i wish i can be as lazy as you:) i am putting the pasta attachment next on my to drool for list:) lovely swirls and twirls, raquel!:)

» Zriz said: { Apr 28, 2009 - 06:04 }

Wow! That’s a new one! Low carbs din! Yummy!

And the pasta machine was a steal!

BTW wala akong entry ngayon, though… I didn’t have time to make anything twirled… :(