Low Carb, Almost Sugarless: Flourless Crepes

flourlesscrepes1

When I received an early birthday present from my friends Carlos and Rodney, I was so excited to use it I decided to make “low carb, almost sugarless” dishes (using their present) that I can send to them.  Not only do we share a love for food, they also enjoy tweaking recipes to fit their low-carb lifestyle. Well, I had the kids and grandkids over for Easter break so experimenting with low carb recipes was out of the question.  My grandson loves rice (and will eat it all day!), our granddaughter is a closet chocoholic (she’s only 12 but a very active athlete) and the parents have their own quirky food likes and dislikes–there is just no way I’m making low carb, almost sugarless food and have everybody eat and enjoy  it!  Now that they’re back home in SoCal,  I can concentrate.  Not that I am making any progress.  I didn’t think it would be that hard to find recipes, especially with a George Stella cookbook that I have sitting on my bookshelf (I don’t even remember when and where I got it!).

So for my first attempt, I decided to make crepes.  Flourless crepes. At least from the ingredient list, they seem like flourless crepes.  Ricotta cheese, eggs, sugar substitute and cinnamon.   When I first mixed the ingredients, I was skeptical.  It was runny and not as thick as my basic crepe batter.  But after cooking them in butter-brushed non-stick pan, the final crepes looked like regular crepes.  Visual test–passed!  The next step is to have my husband taste-test them.  Just plain, with no filling.  “Hmmm… these are good.  Why didn’t I have these for breakfast?” Honey, you’re having them for breakfast tomorrow!  Stella says these crepes can be frozen much like the basic crepes.  Fantastic!  Anyway, here is the recipe and you be the judge.  I rolled one crepe and put a tablespoon of ricotta cheese and a teaspoon of hibiscus jam.  Delicious!

flourlesscrepes2

Quick and Easy Low Carb Crepes (as adapted from  George Stella’s Good Carb Family Cookbook)

• 1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese (I used  homemade ricotta cheese)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbs sugar substitute (I used only a teaspoon of Splenda and they were plenty sweet)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tbs butter (for frying, I didn’t use all 2 tbs in mine)

1. Whisk all ingredients in a bowl except the butter.
  2. Heat a non-stick pan and brush with butter (or you can also use spray).
  3. Drop 2 tbs of batter in the center of the hot pan and immediately tilt back and forth to spread into a thin circle.  (I used a 6-inch pan and made 5-inch crepes. This recipe yielded 8 crepes.)
  4. Cook only for a minute or two until set, then flip to cook the other side.  Keep warm in a plate until ready to serve with filling.

I can not  send these to Carlos and Rodney but I certainly will make it for them when I see them in SoCal in a few weeks.  I can’t wait to see how they’d tweak this recipe to come up with savory crepes.  I have made them without the sugar substitute but adding salt instead.  They worked very well with my seafood crepe recipe.  And even with just a smear of butter and a pinch of salt, they taste fantastic!

» Natasha - 5 Star Foodie said: { Apr 17, 2009 - 06:04 }

How neat – they look just like regular crepes with flour. I will try these for sure!

» Mel @ bouchonfor2.com said: { Apr 18, 2009 - 02:04 }

Intriguing! I’m very curious about the texture. Must try it to find out I guess :)

» Elyse said: { Apr 18, 2009 - 01:04 }

I’m so impressed: flourless crepes? Who would’ve thought? These look great. I love the endless opportunities for fillings, too!

» Tangled Noodle said: { Apr 18, 2009 - 07:04 }

I love this recipe! I’ve been collecting crepe recipes recently and this is the first that doesn’t use a flour of some kind. Now, I’d better start making some of these!

» Lauren B said: { Apr 20, 2009 - 12:04 }

I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow. Keep these healthy low carb recipes comin’!

» Carlos said: { Apr 20, 2009 - 12:04 }

Wow! Rodney and I can hardly wait for the 4th of July when we come over to check out the crepes!!!!! Savory crepes? Absolutely! How about some melted cheese and steak inside to make something like Philadelphia cheese steaks? I miss those. Thanks for this recipe Raquelita!

» virtual chef said: { Apr 23, 2009 - 10:04 }

carlos: that would be great! maybe we can take it at the Summer Pops picnic at the park.

» Tim.T said: { Apr 24, 2009 - 02:04 }

I am now using both low carb diet and doing aerobic exercises to lose weight and have good result. Some say there are side effects but i think they misunderstand the words “low carb”. I believe “low carb” is all about reducing carb intake but not about eating only no carb foods. Finding a balance is very important.

» Debi R. said: { Jun 27, 2010 - 11:06 }

I substituted cream cheese for the cheese and added a bit of baking soda and baking powder. They came out light and fluffy. Be sure to limit the baking soda it will result in a bitter taste in the batter. I also whipped the whites then folded them into the batter. Wow, I never loosing weight could be so tasty!

» virtual chef said: { Jun 28, 2010 - 03:06 }

That’s awesome, Debi! thanks for sharing….

» Polyx said: { Nov 9, 2010 - 06:11 }

These have to be the best flourless crepes I have ever had! Delicious!!!!!!!

» stephanie said: { Feb 15, 2011 - 12:02 }

Needed a birthday dish for a carbless friend and just tested this out. Mine look absolutely nothing like yours, tho they taste pretty good (considering). They don’t hang together well enough to slide the spatula under and flip easily, ending up in flappy shreds. I’m planning to mix them with sautéed apples and topping them with whipped cream — enough whipped cream and who cares what the crepes look like. I’ll give it another go ’round tonight, leaving out the splenda and stuffing with leftover beef stew .. maybe the second time’s the charm. Thanks for the concept!

» Alma Delia said: { Mar 20, 2011 - 08:03 }

Just tried these out, and used cottage cheese as a substitute for the ricotta, blended it in the food processor, and viola! They were fabulous, stuffed them with cream cheese, blended with a tad of yogurt and cottage cheese and fresh strawberries….they were delicious! They looked just like your picture. Thank you so much for this recipe…they helped stave off my pangs for pancakes! The hubby gave them big thumbs up and said, “the wrapping tastes pretty good”…he had no idea what crepes were.. :-P

» gofunkymama said: { Mar 30, 2011 - 07:03 }

Not to mention great for Passover!