I adapted this recipe from the one I found at www.bigoven.com. I reduced the sugar (even if it was splenda) and added 1/4 cup soy flour to the mix. The resulting cookies were chewy and delicious!
- 1 1/4 cups almond meal or almond flour (I used ground raw almonds)
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute (I used splenda)
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1/4 cup soy flour
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Place a tablespoon of mixture on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes. Cool in pan for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Notes: The original recipe used almond flour which is much finer than my ground almond meal. I can only assume that is the reason why the instructions said to “roll into balls and press on baking sheet”. My resulting mixture was not dough-like but more of like a very, very thick paste. The cookies expanded so make sure you keep them at least an inch apart.