Mango Ricotta Mousse with Hibiscus Coulis

mangoricotta

The homemade ricotta cheese is perfect with the ripe mangoes I have sitting in my refrigerator.  With just a bit of whipped cream (you can use store-bought fat free if you want) and a squirt of my hibiscus coulis, I am all set for a nice snack before dinner!

• 1 cup mango puree (about 2 mangoes pureed)
  • 1/2 cup homemade ricotta cheese (of course store-bought is fine! )
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup hibiscus coulis

1. Fill saucepan with cold water. Sprinkle  gelatin and let sit for 5 minutes.
  2. In a food processor or blender, mix mango puree, sugar and cheese until smooth.
  3. Heat gelatin in low heat until completely dissolved, stirring constantly.  Do not boil.   Add to mango mixture until combined. Set aside.
  4. Using an electric mixer, whip heavy cream until soft peaks form.  Fold in mango mixture until thoroughly combined.
  5. In a dessert glass (or something similar), spoon hibiscus coulis and mango mousse, alternating layers and ending with the hibiscus coulis as topping.
  6. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

» lisaiscooking said: { Apr 7, 2009 - 10:04 }

This looks delicious! Mango, ricotta, and hibiscus sounds like a fantastic combination.

» Elyse said: { Apr 7, 2009 - 11:04 }

I really need to try my hand at homemaking ricotta. It sounds so fabulous. And I just love the pairing with mango. How delicious! Great use of flowers again!

» Kim Byer said: { Apr 8, 2009 - 01:04 }

Well, I’ve never heard of cooking with hibiscus, but this is so intriguing. I’ll check my local natural food stores and see if they’re selling these. I love the inspiration nudge.

» Tangled Noodle said: { Apr 8, 2009 - 09:04 }

This is wonderful! I’d love to try it with homemade ricotta but for now, I’m glad you’ve given the go-ahead to use storebought! 8-)

» virtual chef said: { Apr 11, 2009 - 12:04 }

lisa: it was a surprisingly amazing combination! the hibiscus tasted like cranberries and mixed with the sweetness of the mango and saltiness of ricotta—yumm!!

elyse: let me know how the homemade ricotta goes….i am going to try homemade mozarella next..! i wonder what flower will go well with it….basil blooms?

kim: this was my first time using hibiscus and i was glad i did. check for the names “roselle”, “sorelle”, “wild hibiscus” or “flor de jamaica”–these are all the same and is what i used in this recipe.

TN: :) LOL …you are a riot. yep…you are allowed to use store-bought ricotta..hehehe

» Dea said: { Mar 31, 2011 - 01:03 }

This is a very stupid question but how exactly do you puree the mangoes? Just throw them in a blender? Should I add water?
My mouth is watering just thinking about this dessert, thank you so much for sharing!!

» virtual chef said: { Mar 31, 2011 - 01:03 }

Yes. Just put in the blender and blend. Not really need water but you can add a little bit if the puree is too thick for your taste.