Lasang Pinoy Sundays: Over the TOP

BROWN SUSHI RICE BOWL

sushibowl1

This week’s LaPis theme of OVER THE TOP reminded me of the rice bowls in ChowKing.  Mouth-watering toppings like sweet and sour pork, braised beef, spareribs, garlic bangus, fish and tofu–YUM!  I get hungry just thinking about it. And who doesn’t like rice? (Even my friends on the low carb lifestyle cheat with rice once in a while.)  Our 17-year old grandson can eat just rice with soy sauce all day! For me, I go crazy  (or “over the top”? *wink*) over toppings for my rice.   One of my favorite rice bowl dish (I love eating rice in a bowl!) is my lazy version of sushi.  Yes, out of shear laziness,  I don’t even bother to make sushi rolls (well, okay. when we have guests I do).  I just enjoy my SUSHI BOWL.  To properly make sushi rice, you should use the short-grain Japanese rice. They are ‘stickier’ when cooked. But I have used regular jasmine rice and brown rice.  I found that brown rice comes close to getting the sticky texture of Japanese sushi rice with the added grainy crunch.  For toppings?  Anything goes!!  Meat, fish, vegetables, egg or all of the above.  Here you can see a few leftovers from our lunch and dinner of previous days:  eel, sirloin, chicken teriyaki.  Add a little bit of greens, carrots and slices of avocado and I’m on TOP of the world! Ha-ha!!

sushibowl2

BROWN SUSHI RICE

• 3 cups brown rice, short grain
  • 5 cups water

For vinegar mixture:

• 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbs hon dashi (dried bonito fish flakes), optional

1. Wash rice several times until water is almost clear. Cook in rice cooker with the 5 cups of water.  If cooking in a saucepan, place washed rice in saucepan and leave for 30 minutes.  Then add water and cook until liquid has evaporated and rice is crunchy soft.
  2. While rice is cooking, prepare vinegar mixture. In a separate saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, dashi and salt.  Cook on low until sugar is dissolved.  DO NOT BOIL.  Set aside to cool.
  3. Place cooked rice (while still warm) in a bowl.  (A wooden bowl is better if you have it). Stir with wooden spoon or rice paddle  while adding vinegar mixture.  Continue stirring, fanning with a hand fan, spreading the rice until almost dry.  Use rice immediately.

sushibowl3

lpsbutton1

To make sushi bowl:

Just place sushi rice in a bowl and top with your favorite leftovers! Add a few drops of teriyaki sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  You can also make sushi  using nori sheets and whatever “filling” you want to use.  Or make temaki (nori cones) or nigirizushi (sliced raw fish topping).

Another way to serve this is to just use regular cooked rice. Warm it up in a microwave for a minute. For every cup of warm cooked rice, add 4 tbs rice vinegar and 2 tbs sugar.  Mix. Add salt to taste and you have a “quickie” sushi rice!

sushibowl4

» iska said: { May 9, 2009 - 04:05 }

Your sushi rice bowl looks really yummy and filling! I love your choice of toppings, too.

» Pinky said: { May 9, 2009 - 06:05 }

Very interesting and delicious-looking meal idea – thanks for sharing! :)

And yes, why is it that a lot of Western-born and bred people manage to eat rice by itself? Just seems very different from what most of us Pinoys are used to… (*wink*)

» Munchkin Mommy said: { May 9, 2009 - 06:05 }

you just reminded me that i have an unopened pack of sushi rice! these are gorgeous gorgeous bowls. i think we should should celebrate mom’s day in a japanese restaurant! hee hee!

» Tita Beng said: { May 9, 2009 - 07:05 }

This I like! Sarappp!

Happy Mothers’ Day to Nikita’s Mom!

» ces said: { May 9, 2009 - 08:05 }

another fabulous idea! a time and mess saver as well:) love it! and this will be on our dinner table one of these days, thanks!:) happy mother’s day Raquel!:)btw, i had no idea that you already have a 17 y/o apo…wow!

» miriam said: { May 10, 2009 - 01:05 }

love your brown sushi rice bowl. delectable! the garlic bangus, sweet and sour pork, braised beef and the vegetables provide stunning colors to your foto!

» Katie said: { May 10, 2009 - 10:05 }

sushi at home without the fuss of rolling it? Brilliant! I would put spicy tuna, avocado, and cucumber on mind, with lots of wasabi…yum!

» luna miranda said: { May 10, 2009 - 11:05 }

love the sushi combination, i should this soon!

» Tangled Noodle said: { May 10, 2009 - 11:05 }

I really like this LPS theme – so many delicious ideas over rice! 8-D

» Jay - Agent112778 said: { May 11, 2009 - 07:05 }

wow that meat is tempting

happy mom’s day

my entry is here

magandang araw ka-lasa-ista :)
Salamat sa pagbisita :)

» Nate said: { May 11, 2009 - 02:05 }

This looks really great, thanks for the add over on Foodbuzz!

» virtual chef said: { May 12, 2009 - 04:05 }

iska: i could eat bowls of these!!!

pinky: i have no clue, either. i don’t even know why they feel the need to put soy sauce on rice. but then again, they don’t understand why we have to add patis in our food! :)

munchkinmommy: i’m with you! have a lot of sushi and sashimi!!!

tita be: yep…that’s me …mommy to nikita…hahaha…she doesn’t have a clue what that means except that i am the one who feeds her and takes her for long walks!

ces: yes, i have a 17 year old grandson and a soon to be 13 year old granddaughter. my grandson first tasted rice in boracay when he was barely a year old. since then, he only eats “filipino rice” whatever that means. he doesn’t like calrose…and loves beef tapa and tocino.

miriam: thanks!

katie: hmmm…cucumber, and lots of wasabi will definitely do the trick!!

luna: thanks, luna!

thanks for stopping by, jay!

glad you enjoy it, nate!

» virtual chef said: { May 12, 2009 - 04:05 }

TN: yet another lazy way to use up leftovers….:):)

» JMom said: { May 14, 2009 - 05:05 }

Oh you just reminded me of rice bowls! I love anything that goes over rice bowls but your selection of toppings is certainly OVER THE TOP! :D

» virtual chef said: { May 14, 2009 - 05:05 }

hi Jmom: i know! :)

» Kevin said: { May 28, 2009 - 08:05 }

I really like the idea of a sushi rice bowl! It looks great!