Lasang Pinoy Sundays: Shades of Spring and Summer

SALAD GREENS WITH FLOWER CONFETTI

springand-summer2

Spring and summer for me is about salads.  Unfortunately, salad is not something I do very well.  Yes, I know. What’s difficult about making a salad? You gather your  ingredients, mix it together, add some dressing and you’re all set.  Not me.  For some reason, my salads always end up either wilted, tasteless or just…blah!  When I go out with my girlfriends, I always order a huge salad because it is something I don’t make at home.  I just don’t know how to make it! So for this week’s LaPis theme of SHADES OF SPRING AND SUMMER, I’m sharing a salad plate I attempted to make.  My ingredients certainly define spring and summer: greens, mango, avocado, strawberry and edible flowers.  I love the combination of mango, strawberry and avocado .  For dressing, a simple mixture of lemon juice, salt and pepper completes this meal for me.

lpsbutton1

For alternative dressings, you can try this  Lavender Vinaigrette dressing or this Herb Salad Dressing.

• 2 cups salad greens
  • 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
  • 5 large strawberries, diced
  • 1 avocado, peeled and diced
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl except the last two.
  2. Combine lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix the greens.

When I made this salad for my mid-morning snack, I made basil hibiscus lemonade to go with it.  It’s my tweaked version of the Agua de Jamaica drink popular in Latin America.  Really refresing! Instead of just using hibiscus infusion with water, I added a homemade basil syrup which you can find in this Basil Lemonade recipe.

springand-summer3

» iska said: { May 2, 2009 - 04:05 }

But I see nothing wrong with your salad. In fact it looks absolutely gorgeous!

» miriam said: { May 2, 2009 - 06:05 }

wonderful salad! the edible flowers are great! ate those before in bohol bee farm. sana maging mas accessible pa ito sa groceries.

» miriam said: { May 2, 2009 - 06:05 }

and i forgot to say, the basil lemonade is exciting. i will definitely try this.

» julie said: { May 2, 2009 - 06:05 }

That salad looks good and I know it tastes good too :)

» FoodieJenn said: { May 2, 2009 - 06:05 }

Salads aren’t my thing, too! But this one looked so great, I bet it tasted great, too!

My LaPiS entry for this week is right here. Please visit it if you have the time. Happy weekends!

» peachkins said: { May 2, 2009 - 09:05 }

wow..sarap naman ng salad dito may katerno pang lemonade…

» jenn said: { May 2, 2009 - 09:05 }

I used to hate salads when I was younger. Now I love them and can’t get enough. You’ve made a beautiful looking salad.

» maver said: { May 2, 2009 - 09:05 }

oh wow! i would give anything to dig in! lovely!

mine’s up here:

happy lapis!

» Tita Beng said: { May 2, 2009 - 10:05 }

That salad certainly looks appetizing! The colorful petals made it more enticing. But how’s the taste of those petals? Looks like I’ll start picking flowers from my neighbors garden and try experimenting. he he..

» Lynn said: { May 2, 2009 - 11:05 }

This reminds me of Sonya’s Garden and this is what I call the good salad. I like my salad greens with avocado too.

» luna miranda said: { May 3, 2009 - 11:05 }

your salad looks appetizing…love the colors, too! as long as the ingredients are fresh, i guess, they’d make a great salad.

» ces said: { May 4, 2009 - 07:05 }

but it looks so good, summery spring-y good!:) and that basil infused lemonade is a must try for me!:) enjoy the week!:)

» Pinky said: { May 4, 2009 - 09:05 }

Your salad looks vibrant – and very appetizing too! :) Yum!

» Munchkin Mommy said: { May 4, 2009 - 10:05 }

that’s one beautiful salad! i wonder where i can get edible flowers!

» Elyse said: { May 4, 2009 - 02:05 }

What a perfect summery salad. I love the combo of mango, avocado, and strawberries. Not to mention that the edible flowers are just beautiful. What a vibrant, colorful salad!

» virtual chef said: { May 4, 2009 - 05:05 }

iska: thanks!

miriam: yes, i hope so too! and do try the basil lemonade. they are really good! i’ve only made them with lemons but i bet it will taste as good with calamansi juice.

tita beng: the flowers taste just like the rest of the greens.

ces: let me know when you try the basil lemonade. since basil is the only plant i can grow in the summer that keeps giving (lots of leaves!), we always have basil lemonade.

munchkinmommy: i got the edible flowers at trader joe’s. wholefoods have them, too.

» Jescel said: { May 5, 2009 - 08:05 }

that is spring on a plate. colors are so vivid and alive! that is one salad I’d never turn away.

» JMom said: { May 5, 2009 - 09:05 }

Summer truly is salad time. But I’m like you. I’m never happy with how my salads turn out either that’s why I don’t post many on my blog even though we have them all the time.

This bowl of salad looks beautiful though :)