This recipe was adapted from an old issue of Eating Well magazine. Although most people like the crunchy version with corn flour tortillas, we like the “soft taco” style especially if the tortilla is homemade and flavored. You also have the option of adding shredded cheese, hot salsa or shredded lettuce or cabbage. We love it without anything else but the spicy chicken, sometimes served with a side of chopped avocado and tomatoes. Other meat alternatives are beef or pork.
- 6 flour tortillas (if you want to try your hand at making homemade flour tortillas, check this recipe)
- 2 cups diced or thinly slice chicken thighs or breast (you can also use roasted chicken and shred the meat)
- 4 tbs cooking oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced or diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 2 tsp crushed chili pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa (optional)
- chopped scallions, tomatoes and sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven at 250F for 10 minutes. Keep wrapped and warm until ready to sue.
- Season chicken pieces with salt. Heat 2 tbs oil in sautee pan. Stir fry chicken pieces until cooked and brown. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Pour rest of cooking coil in pan. Add onions, peppers, garlic, jalapeno and cook until soft. Add cumin and chili pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add cooked chicken and salsa (if using). Cook until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add cilantro. Stir.
- Spoon onto warm tortillas and garnish with scallions, chopped tomatoes and sour cream. Serve warm with slices of lime or lemon.
Notes: I used roasted chicken in this recipe and shredded the chicken breast meat. When cooking, the chicken will get even more shredded and soak in all the spicy flavors. You do not have to add chili peppers if you do not like your tacos spicy. The jalapeno will be enough to burn your taste buds! You can also serve this with chopped avocado or guacomole on the side. Enjoy!