- 4 tbs sugar
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- about 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced green onions
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tsp hoisin sauce
- 4 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Dissolve 2 tbs sugar in milk and water. Sprinkle the yeast and let stand in warm place until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 cups flour and salt. Add more flour as needed until dough is no longer sticky.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work space and knead until smooth and elastic (about 6 – 8 minutes). Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- Prepare filling. Heat oil in wok or pan. Add green onions and garlic, frying for 1 minute. Stir in water, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce and sugar. Add cornstarch solution, boil, stirring until thick. Add chicken. Cool.
- Prepare dough. Punch down dough then roll into a cylinder. Cut into 12 equal pieces, rolling each piece into a ball. Cover.
- Flatten each ball and roll into a circle about 4 – 6 inches in diameter. Place 1 heaping tbs of filling in the center. Gather edges of circle over the filling; twist and pinch edges together to seal.
- Cut 3-inch squares of wax paper and place under buns. With seam side up, place buns on baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place.
- When buns have risen, steam in high heat until tops are smooth and shiny, approximately 12 – 15 minutes.
Notes: Steamed buns can be frozen. Reheat frozen buns by steaming for 10 minutes or zap it in the microwave on high for 2 minutes.