Adapted from the recipe printed at the back cover of my new madeleine pan, this recipe is very simple. The only tweak was the addition of ground almonds and using half the sugar measurement.
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp orange extract or 1 tbs orange juice
- 1/2 tsp shredded orange peel (I grated one half of an orange)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (the original recipe asked for 1 cup powdered sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray madeleine pans with Pam or nonstick spray.
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs, orange extract (or juice), and orange peel on high speed for 5 minutes. Gradually add sugar and beat until thick.
- Gently fold in flour, almonds and then the melted butter. Mix until smooth.
- Spoon mixture into the cups (1 tbs for each), filling about 3/4 full. Bake for approximately 8 minutes or until the edges are light brown. Cool in the pan for a minute then loosen each cookie with a knife.
- Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool. The recipe yields 24 regular sized madeleines.