I wanted to try the Cream Cheese Pound Cake from Joy of Baking but I wanted a little bit of flavor instead of just vanilla. I found Ina Garten’s Orange Pound Cake (Recipe #144674 at www.recipezaar.com) recipe so I combined the two and came up with this. I was hoping for a moist cake but mine ended up a little crumbly. Perhaps I should have increased the amount of eggs. Ina’s recipe required extra large eggs and I am not sure how large are extra large eggs. I kept the same amount inspite of my not-so-extra-large sized eggs and maybe that is why it ended up not as moist. I don’t know what the cream cheese did since I couldn’t taste any trace. But….pouring that orange glaze while the cake was warming made up for it all. It had the bursting flavor of sweet orange!!! To prepare the bundt pan, I sprayed it with Pam and sprinkled ground almonds instead of using flour or breadcrumbs.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 8 0z box of cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1/3 cup grated orange zest
- 3 cups wholewheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla or orange extract
- cooking spray
- 1 tbs ground almonds
- Heat 1/3 cup orange juice on low heat and add 3 tbs sugar until melted. Set aside until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare 10-inch bundt pan by spraying with cooking spray and sprinkling ground almonds. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar in medium speed. Add eggs, one at a time. Then add orange zest, orange juice and orange or vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add flour mixture to the batter and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour into prepared bundt pan. Bake fro 55 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes. Poke holes in the cake using toothpick or skewer and pour orange glaze while cooling. Cake will immediately absorb the liquid.
- Continue cooling. Serve with creme fraiche, whipped cream or ice cream.
Notes: This cake will keep at room temperature for 3 days. Refrigerated, it will keep for a week and for about a month frozen.