Lumpia Wrapper (Filipino Spring Roll Wrapper)

lumpiawrapper1

It is not very often that I ran out of lumpia (Filipino spring rolls) wrapper. If there is anything that is a staple in my freezer, it is these wrappers. I buy them in bulk and drag them to Tahoe for the winter! So why am I making my own? Well…I don’t need a reason! I just want to find out if I can make them. (Yeah, I know. A very lame excuse. My husband wasn’t convinced, either). Really, I have no answer. Yet.

Anyway, I found this recipe at Scibd. It looked simple enough with only three ingredients.  (I wasn’t really expecting more than 2!) Cooking it took more practice, though.  And you need a really good non-stick pan so you do not have to use cooking oil. The resulting wrappers were very similar to the ones you can get at the store.

• 1 cup flour
  • 1 egg white, beaten
  • 1 1/4 cup water ( You might not need all of it.)

lumpiawrapper2

1. Whisk  flour and egg white in a bowl. Slowly add water, a little at a time. Continue to whisk until smooth and has the consistency of runny pancake batter.
  2. Heat a non-stick pan in medium heat. Brush a thin coat of the batter on the pan once, and then apply another coat again. When cooked batter starts to “peel off” on the sides, it is ready (approximately 1 – 2 minutes).
  3. Lift off wrapper from the pan and place in a plate. Cover with a clean, moist kitchen towel to prevent drying while waiting for the rest of the wrapper to be cooked.
  4. Place in ziploc bag and refrigerate until ready to use.

lumpiawrapper3

» jenn said: { Jul 11, 2009 - 11:07 }

Wow this looks really simple. I usually buy the ready made ones. That would be neat to make my own. That how it was done in the old days, right? ;-)

» ninetteenrique said: { Jul 11, 2009 - 12:07 }

Wow, I don’t think I would ever attempt to make lumpia wrappers. Were they worth the work?

» virtual chef said: { Jul 11, 2009 - 03:07 }

jenn: i always buy the ready-made ones, too, but i thought i’d try the recipe i found. if you have made crepes before, this one is a breeze!

ninette: it wasn’t much work but was it worth it? probably not. LOL i’d rather buy them in bulk and keep in the freezer. but it’s great to know i can whip up some in a bind (not that the world will end if we can’t have lumpia! LOL). i was thinking more of experimenting with flavors and fillings…..we’ll see.

» ninetteenrique said: { Jul 12, 2009 - 06:07 }

Yes, I thought you would say that. Now that they sell the lumpia wrappers with papers in between, it’s so much easier. I remember when I was a kid it was such a pain to try to separate the wrappers. My Tita Ellen just recently made up a halo halo lumpia recipe. It turned out really well.

» Tangled Noodle said: { Jul 12, 2009 - 07:07 }

It’s good to know that in a pinch, I know where to go for a recipe and instructions. Maybe one day I’ll try this, like you said, just to say I’ve done it! 8-)

» Wok-ing Willie said: { Aug 20, 2009 - 05:08 }

I live in UK but I can’t find the lumpia wrappers here. Can you tell me what is the maker’s name of the lumpia wrappers with paper in between? I operate a small restaurant serving some fresh lumpia and it would be a great help if I can get hold of some as I am struggling to get some good quality ones. Are they from the Phillippines?