There are many different ways to create this no-bake icebox cake and enjoy the sweetness of ripe mangoes for the summer. My original recipe used crumbled graham crackers and layered the same way as below. After making some chocolate ladyfingers the other day, I decided to experiment and use them for this icebox cake. The chocolate flavor blended very well with the sweet mango. The ladyfingers soaked the cream mixture and expanded each cookie, making the cake taste and look like mango trifle. Next time, I will try crumbled ladyfingers and maybe add some ground almonds for some crunch.
- 2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 15 pieces chocolate ladyfingers (or graham crackers)
- Whisk milk and cream until combined. Set aside
- In a 4 x 6 baking dish, place the first layer of ladyfingers, about 6 pieces.
- Drizzle half of the cream/milk mixture then place a layer of sliced mangoes (about half).
- Repeat with the layering, topping the 6 pieces of ladyfingers.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is best). Cut and serve.