Here’s another recipe for those zucchinis you harvest from your summer garden. This is an excellent dish to freeze and then serve to company later. I made just enough for two people (or maybe 4) in this dish.
- 1 large zucchini, sliced thinly in circles (I used a zucchini that is about 8 inches long)
- 1 cup ground turkey (I used two patties of bison burger defrosted)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- 1 tsp crushed chili pepper
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup milk or cream
- salt and pepper
- 3 tbs sour cream
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 – 1.5 cups mozzarella cheese grated ( I used enough of my homemade mozzarella herbed cheese balls to cover two layers)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare meat sauce. Heat olive oil in pan. Add garlic and onion and cook until soft. Add tomatoes, meat, spices, salt and pepper. Continue cooking until meat is cooked. Add milk or cream, cook another 10 minutes then remove from heat. Set aside. (This can be stored in the refrigerator or frozen for later use.)
- Prepare 4 x6 baking dish. Place sour cream at bottom of dish. Layer zucchini slices until it covers the sour cream layer.
- Add meat sauce layer, and then a layer of mozzarella cheese. Continue layering, topping with cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until top is brown and crusty. Slice and serve warm.
- It is important to make sure that your meat sauce is not “soupy” or too wet. The zucchini will add liquid to the lasagna when cooked.
- You can use other sharper cheese such as mexican, cheddar or monterey jack. The crust will be crunchier. You can also use ricotta cheese (replace sour cream with this, too).
- You can also use yellow squash or pattypan squash instead of or in addition to zucchinis.
- You can slice zucchini lengthwise instead of in discs.