I found a perfect recipe to use for my container garden harvest of zucchinis. Martin Yan’s Feast : The Best of Yan Can Cook cookbook has this siomai dish using zucchinis instead of wonton wrappers.
- 3 zucchinis approximately 8 inches long each
- 1 1/2 tbs cooking oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbs minced green onion
- 1tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbs water
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1 egg white
- Trim ends of zucchini and cut each crosswise into 6 pieces. Remove cores (using an apple corer or teaspoon) leaving a shell 1/4 inch thick. Set aside.
- Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl and stir until smooth and well combined.
- Stuff filling into zucchini cases.
- Heat frying pan over medium heat. Add oil, swirling to coat all sides.
- Stand zucchini in the frying pan and cook until bottoms are lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add water, reduce heat to low, cover and cook until filling is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with your choice of dipping sauce.