Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic

After enjoying the zucchinis, summer squash, cucumbers, okra, purple broccoli and one sweet baby honeydew (I wasn’t really sure these melons grow any larger) melon, the tomatoes are now starting to ripen.  And as what seasoned gardeners have warned me, they do ripen at the same time and faster than we can consume them!  My tomatoes are of the tiny variety (grape, cherry, etc), and as such faster to consume and easier to keep or incorporate in our salad.  But I find myself the recipient of more tomatoes — a present from my friend Lisa from her vegetable garden. At our party, she handed me a huge bag containing beets, a big bag of basil leaves and tomatoes. The tomatoes were not yet ripe, some were even green still, so I wasn’t worried about consuming them immediately. In my laziness in the past few days (hey, I need to take a break from partying!), I had forgotten about the tomatoes and when I looked in the bag, all of them where very ripe and looking like past the consumption date for fresh tomatoes.  Even with the salads, spaghetti and omelettes we enjoyed morning, noon and night, I still have a handful of tomatoes which I am wary of throwing away.  I hate wasting such wonderful produce. I needed something that would preserve the tomatoes for later use.

Tom Colicchio’s (chef owner  of Craft and The Gramercy Tavern) cookbook Think Like a Chef has this awesome recipe for roasted tomatoes and garlic. It was the perfect solution to my problem. With the addition of one herb and a couple of heads of garlic, I was able to get 3 usable-for-later ingredients: roasted tomato, roasted tomato juice and roasted garlic.  The great part is that I can store them in my freezer for 6 months! Just perfect for the fall and winter dishes.

Roasted Tomatoes and Garlic as adapted from Think Like a Chef by Tom Colicchio

• 20 ripe tomatoes, stems and core removed
  • 2 large heads of garlic, divided into cloves unpeeled
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • salt and pepper for seasoning
  • 8 sprigs of fresh thyme

1. Heat oven to 350F. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise.
  2. Place tomatoes and garlic in a bowl.  Add olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix carefully.
  3. Line 2 large baking pans (with sides) with parchment paper or aluminum foil.  Place tomato halves cut side down and pour the olive oil from the bowl.  Divide the garlic and thyme sprigs between the two pans.
  4. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes until the tomato skins loosen.  Remove and discard tomato skins. Pour any juices that have accumulated into a bowl and set aside.
  5. Return the tomatoes in the oven and reduce temperature to 275F. Continue roasting, pouring off and reserving juices, until tomatoes appear cooked, shrunken and concentrated but not dry. This could take 3 – 4 hours or more.
  6. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and allow to cool in the baking sheets.  Discard the thyme and transfer garlic and tomatoes in separate containers. Store in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

» Debi (Table Talk) said: { Aug 19, 2009 - 06:08 }

Roasting the tomatoes is a terrific way to preserve the flavor of summertime tomatoes!

» veggielover said: { Aug 19, 2009 - 06:08 }

Nice recipe. Very useful.

» TasteHongKong said: { Aug 19, 2009 - 08:08 }

I shall keep this in file. Thanks.

» Zahavah/Gayle said: { Aug 19, 2009 - 09:08 }

What a great way to capture the taste of summer later on in the year. And I love this cookbook.

» Alta said: { Aug 20, 2009 - 05:08 }

Lovely! This would be a great thing to have in the freezer, you’re right! I think I might get extra tomatoes at the market (mine are sadly not producing much) just for this!
I do love that cookbook. Tom Colicchio is an excellent chef. I think I need to crack it open again, to see if there are ideas I can obtain from it before the summer is out!

» Cookin' Canuck said: { Aug 20, 2009 - 05:08 }

Beautiful photo! You have inspired me – this is exactly what I’m going to do with some of my tomato crop.

» Divina said: { Aug 20, 2009 - 06:08 }

You can’t go wrong with roasted tomatoes. Thanks for reminding me that I could have that in my fridge and have an instant ingredients that I can use with almost anything. :)

» dhanggit said: { Aug 20, 2009 - 08:08 }

so, so red and vibrant..i could even smell the beautiful perfume from here!! love it!!

» Tita Beng said: { Aug 20, 2009 - 08:08 }

Looks more like cherries than tomatoes! Nice shot!

» Jessie said: { Aug 21, 2009 - 06:08 }

look how vibrant those tomatoes look, roasted tomatoes truly have their own unique flavoring that will give any simple pasta dishes a great boost in taste.

» Manang said: { Aug 21, 2009 - 12:08 }

a variation of this would be to incorporate with pasta (like lasagna). After freezing, you can smash and use as your pasta sauce (that is, if you don’t mind the skins and seeds, which we don’t)….just an idea…this sounds sooo delish!

» Maya said: { Aug 21, 2009 - 01:08 }

Wonderful to have it on hand!

» Tangled Noodle said: { Aug 23, 2009 - 02:08 }

These are beautiful! We planted only tomatoes this year (and one jalapeño) and they’ve been producing some lovely fruit, almost too many – this is a great way to serve them.

» Chaya said: { Aug 24, 2009 - 02:08 }

Oven roasted tomatoes are delicious. It is interesting that these are slow roasted at a slow temperature. I usually roast them at over 400 degrees f0r about 30 minutes. I will have to try it this way. I roast every veggie that comes into sight. Roasting makes them delicious and tomatoes have the best flavor. Enjoy those tomatoes all winter.