Chocolate Souffle

chocosouffle1

My first Tuesday with Dorie and I get to make a souffle.  How cool is that? Okay, so maybe it is not so  exciting for some of you expert bakers but I am new to the baking world and this week is the first event I am participating in as a member of the Tuesdays with Dorie baking club.  Every week, a group of bakers attempt a recipe from Dorie Greenspan’s book  Baking: From My Home to Yours and share their experiences.  This week, the recipe is Chocolate Souffle on page 406 chosen by Susan of She’s Becoming DoughMessTic.

chocosouffle3

I had attempted a souffle before.  It was a strawberry flavored one and only had three ingredients:  egg whites, pureed strawberries and the optional sugar.  So when I saw Dorie’s recipe which included more ingredients, I got a little alarmed.  My first strawberry souffle turned out okay, with the batter puffing up like a proud cake.  This time I am making a version which included egg yolks, milk and chocolate.  Add to that, I halved the recipe (which usually spells a baking disaster for me) and tried to fit the batter in 4 ramekins instead of the stated 7-cup souffle dish.  Following the instructions dutifully, I finally put the ramekins in the 400F preheated oven, closed it and waited.  The instructions said not to open the oven door for 40 minutes.  Not even to peek.  Wait!  I only made half a recipe!  Does it mean I get to look after 20 minutes?

I did.  And this is what happened…

chocosouffle5

It cracked, fell and sank!   I may not have gotten the souffle Gordon  Ramsay calls a “sexy pudding”, but at least we know it tasted good!

chocosouffle2

Oh well..I may try the recipe again in the future.  For now, we’ll just enjoy its chocolatey goodness, even without the ice cream or creme anglaise!

chocosouffle4

» LemonadeStand said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 01:09 }

I found that article just now. it has a ton of tips on making souffle, i do hope it helps. Your pictures still turned out beautifully by the way :]

» jenn said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 02:09 }

That looks really lovely!!! I had a chocolate souffle once and I though I had died and gone to heaven. I’m been wanting to try to make it at home. But I’ve been a bit nervous about it. Your turned out great. Mmmm…

» Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 05:09 }

It looks great Raquel! Beautiful shots!

» Annie said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 06:09 }

That is going on my “must try” list!

» Ninette said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 07:09 }

Pretty!

» Patricia said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 07:09 }

Whether if cracked and fell apart or not, it looks really good.
Thanks for sharing.
Patricia

» rgroxasmd said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 09:09 }

looks great!
maybe one day I will have the courage to try this.

» Christine said: { Sep 8, 2009 - 09:09 }

Wow, it’s so sexy~
Your chocolate souffle looks delicious…I’m drooling right now.

» The Chocolate Priestess said: { Sep 9, 2009 - 05:09 }

Just because a food item doesn’t look as great as you liked generally has little affect on it’s flavor. In fact, I’ve paid a lot for fancy looking food that turned out to be very disappointing in flavor, texture, and scent. I’d rather have those three senses thrilled than just something that looks pretty.

» virtual chef said: { Sep 9, 2009 - 06:09 }

lemonadestand: thank you! i wished i read that article before my souffle disaster…LOL..but now i know what to do next time!

jenn: let me know when you try it. then you can give me tips on how to make it work! LOL

Jenn: Thank you! at least they didn’t taste so bad…:)

Annie: yey! go for it girl! let me know how it works.

Ninette: thank you.

patricia: believe me, it did taste good. LOL

ron: i have to be a taste-tester when you do that!

Christine: LOL…

Priestess: thank you! I have to find other things to do with the rest of my chocolate. maybe something successful this time. :)

» Alta said: { Sep 9, 2009 - 08:09 }

Your souffles look so much like the ones I made once (mine were chocolate too)…they rose a bit, but not tall like they were supposed to. Oh well, practice makes perfect, eh? and practicing with chocolate is even better!

» Natasha - 5 Star Foodie said: { Sep 9, 2009 - 10:09 }

Gorgeous pictures! Souffles are sure tricky to make! But chocolate souffles are especially good no matter what.

I’ve actually had a chocolate souffle at Gordon Ramsay’s and it was truly one of the best I’ve had; judging by the texture of that souffle & my own experience with souffles, I’m pretty sure that he only cooks it for about 8 minutes or so.

» Stephanie said: { Sep 9, 2009 - 10:09 }

Yummm, those look wonderful!!

» Jen @ MaplenCornbread said: { Sep 9, 2009 - 04:09 }

Welcome to the group! your photos are beautiful!! Sounds like they turned out great, even if they sunk a bit! :)

» pamela said: { Sep 9, 2009 - 07:09 }

Welcome to TWD! I think your photos are beautiful, as are all of your little souffles. Nice job!

» DINING WITH BATALI said: { Sep 10, 2009 - 05:09 }

I have so much respect for people who can create a souffle’ – -You rock as always ! GORGEOUS!!!!! Thanks

» Annie's Pantry said: { Sep 10, 2009 - 06:09 }

They look good anyway…. I love to play with souffle because it comes out so different every time I try one. Looks Tasty Though!

» sizzlechef said: { Sep 10, 2009 - 06:09 }

Neat. Thanks for sharing.Cheers!

» virtual chef said: { Sep 10, 2009 - 10:09 }

alta: i so wanted to see it rise like the ones i see on pictures…but, i just have to be happy with eating chocolate pudding! :)

Natasha: I bet Gordon Ramsay’s souflle tasted heavenly! i’m so jealous!! 8 minutes! my oven takes longer than that to heat …LOL!

Stephanie: thanks!

Jen: thanks for the welcome…i look forward to more baking adventures with TWD

pamela: thank you!

M: awww…you’re so sweet!

Annie: at least it tasted good…it would have been a real disaster if i had to dump it because nobody could eat it! LOL…

sizzlechef: thanks for stopping by!

» Steve Mirsky said: { Oct 2, 2009 - 05:10 }

It’s the taste that counts because like my uncle always said, “it all goes into the same place”. Presentation is key but to me it’s the tastebud experience that makes the calorie ingestion worth it!