With the holidays just around the corner, we are bound to be invited to at least one party before the year-end. Not to mention the parties we ourselves host. Preparing dishes for the holidays is made easier by the many recipes available at Safeway.com. Because there’s always a Safeway or Vons nearby, shopping for ingredients is convenient and affordable. At Vons in San Diego, we can even take advantage of online ordering and home delivery.
I love the selection of appetizer recipes they have at their website and one of our favorites is this mini crab cakes with lemon-dill aioli. It is a breeze to prepare and an excellent potluck dish to bring to a party. It is also great as a lunch (or dinner) entree (just make large versions of it) with a side of green salad. I made these crabcakes for Thanksgiving and then again as a potluck dish to a friend’s party. It was a hit!
- 3/4 cup Safeway SELECT® Mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. finely shredded lemon peel
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill weed, minced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/3 cup Safeway SELECT® Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Safeway SELECT® Dijon Mustard
- 1 O Organics™ Large Brown Egg
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 4 cans (6 oz.) crab meat, well drained
- For aioli, in a small bowl combine mayonnaise, lemon peel and juice, dill, and garlic. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate until crab cakes are ready.
- For crab cakes, in a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, mustard, egg, cayenne, 1 cup bread crumbs, celery, red bell pepper, and green onion; mix well. Gently stir in crabmeat.
- Place remaining 2 cups bread crumbs in a shallow dish. Shape crab into small cakes (about 1 1/2-in. diameter); coat with bread crumbs, pressing gently to adhere.
- Place apart in two oiled 12- by- 17-in. rimmed baking pans. Bake in a 500° oven for 7 minutes, switch pan positions, and continue baking until golden brown, about 7 minutes longer. Serve hot with aioli.