One of the traditional Filipino desserts served at my Foodbuzz 24, 24, 24 high school reunion, this rice cake is typically available during the Christmas season. Cooked over hot charcoal on a claypot pan lined with banana leaves and topped with slices of salted egg and quick-melt cheese, this version is baked in an oven. Excellent paired with ginger tea or hot chocolate…enjoyed anytime of day or night!
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 1 salted egg, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- banana leaves, cut in circles and softened over hot stove
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine rice flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs, sugar and butter. Add flour mixture and coconut milk. Continue whisking until well combined.
- Line 2 round pan (5 inch) with banana leaves. Divide and pour mixture into the two pans. Bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from oven and add salted egg slices and cheese on top. Return to oven and bake for another 10 minutes or until top is lightly brown.
- Serve warm with brushed butter and a sprinkling of sugar or grated coconut.
Note: This recipe yields two cakes baked in 5-inch round pans.