Finally harvested eggplants from my vegetable garden! And with some homemade ricotta cheese, marinara sauce and parmigiano, this dish was perfect for lunch served with a side of green salad!
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lenghtwise in 8 pieces
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a baking sheet, lay eggplant slice, sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Roast/broil in oven until light brown and soft (about 25 minutes) flipping halfway through. Set aside.
- Heat saute pan on medium. Add 1 tbs oil, garlic and mushrooms. Add italian seasoning and cook until mushrooms are soft. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg and mushrooms. Mix.
- Spread 1/2 cup of marinara sauce on bottom of 9 inch square baking dish. Lay half of eggplant slices over marinara sauce. Place a layer of ricotta mix. Lay the rest of the eggplant slices over the ricotta, then add another layer of marinara sauce. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake until top is brown and crusty (approximately 35 minutes). Serve warm.