I found this great recipe for yogurt muffins from Food and Wine magazine. They were surprisingly moist and incredibly flavorful with cinnamon, allspice and cloves. And not bad either for 140 calories per muffin!
- 2 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup lowfat yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbs unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line muffin pan with liners and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and nutmeg. In another bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, applesauce, vanilla and melted butter. Fold in wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and carefully mix until well combined.
- Pour into muffin pans and bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until muffins feel springy on top.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool at room temperature.
Notes: You can sprinkle some sugar and grated nutmeg on top before baking to add a bit more spice.