Quick and easy lunch. Great for the summer but nothing wrong in having it even in the cold of winter. These burgers are seasoned mediterranean style and slathered with tatziki instead of mayo or mustard. Serve with quick slaw on homemade ciabatta bread.
- 500 grams ground lamb
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- a pinch of ground ginger
- 2 tbs minced mint leaves
- 1 tsp crushed chili pepper
- salt and pepper to season
Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Divide into 4 balls and press flat into burgers. Grill or fry for about 3 minutes each side or until cooked the way you want it. (2 – 3 minutes gave us a medium rare burger that we liked)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed to a paste with 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup strained plain yogurt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs dried mint leaves
- 1 – 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 small thin-skinned cucumber, coarsely grated
- cayenne pepper
- Mix garlic, yogurt, oil, mint and 1 tbs lemon juice in a non-reactive bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let infuse at room temperature.
- Place coarsely grated cucumber in a strainer and squeeze out all the excess moisture. If you are making this the day you are using it, just chop the cucumber and add to the yogurt mixture. No need to grate and squeeze.
- Stir in the cucumber mixture into the yogurt mixture then taste. Adjust seasoning by adding more salt, pepper or lemon juice. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper as garnish when serving.
- 1 cup shredded cabbage, red or green or both
- 1/2 cup slice sweet pepper (any color), sliced thinly
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs mirin
- chopped parsley for garnish
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for 20 minutes before serving.