We had a family BBQ two nights ago and these biscuits were perfect for the Strawberry Shortcake dessert I served. If you want to make this recipe chosen by Melissa of Love At First Bite, it is on page 23 of Dorie Greenspan’s book Baking: From My Home to Yours. Just make sure you don’t leave it in the oven too long. I think it is best made just right before dinner, kept warm or even at room temperature especially if you will be serving with ice cream. We had it with whipped cream and macerated fresh strawberries and scoops of vanilla ice cream. Perfect!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- egg wash (1 egg plus 1 tbs water beaten)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- To make biscuits or scones: Whisk flour, baking powder, 1/3 cup sugar and salt in a bowl. Add cream, mix until you get a soft dough. Gently knead dough about 4 – 5 times. Pat into a circle about 1 inch thick. Using biscuit cutter, cut out as many as you can. ( I had about 10 using 2.5 inch biscuit cutter)
- In a separate bowl, combine strawberries and the rest of the sugar. Let sit for 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Place cut dough in a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with egg wash and then bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven and cool in a wire rack.
- To serve, split biscuit in half. Place a tablespoon of macerated strawberries and a tablespoon of whipped cream. Top with the other half of biscuit and server with ice cream if desired.