Wow! It has been a long time since I posted. Doesn’t really mean I have not been doing anything…LOL. It’s been a busy month, but here I am. Back in my kitchen and ready to cook, bake and experiment!!! For this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie, Natalia of gatti fili e farina chose Gingered Carrot Cookies on page 162 of Dorie Greenspan’s book Baking: From My Home to Yours. These are excellent cookie version of the carrot cake as Dorie intended them to be. As always, I tweaked the recipe for the dietary requirements of my housemate.
- 2 cups wholewheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- dash of ground nutmge
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots (we love carrots!!!)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (or any nuts you have)
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare cookie sheet by lining with silpat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk flour, baking powder, salt, ground ginger and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Using a paddle attachment, cream butter on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add sugar, vanilla and egg and continue beating for another minute until well mixed. Slowly add dry ingredients in thirds on low speed, just until mixed.
- Using a spatula, stir in carrots and nuts until combined.
- Place 1 medium scoop full of dough on cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart (they don’t spread much) and bake for 18 – 20 minutes or until light brown. Cool on wire rack.